Anybody want to work but have a really bad resume?

I am looking for a job. I’m out of work now and my concern is that I haven’t been able to hold a job for more than like 9 months at most and have had a lot of short term jobs. I really want to work but my resume sucks due to being out of work and in and out of hospitals. I used just fake wanting a long term job in interviews but my options are running low. Anyone else like this?

3 Likes

My resume is that I graduated only from middle school and that I have never had a job and I’m now 25, what are my chances? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have similar issue , i just say the jobs were contracts to get away with it, which they were although those were not reasons for leaving.

1 Like

i would like to have a job too.

but just as u i have been out of work but in my case its been a long time.

the main reason i couldnt grab a job was bcoz i couldnt clear the technical interview, i was applying for a computer programmer job, my old profession.

so now its tough to get a job and if i tell them i have sz they will just reject me.

2 Likes

Even I have the same problem … can’t hold onto a job even for a few months quit 3 to 4 jobs till now and been jobless since 2017.

1 Like

I have been in and out of jobs my whole life, but now, after my recent depression, my social worker said that i might have to go on disability. Im 52 years old and very tired and “burned out” by my MI, so i might do it, even i prefer to work.

1 Like

It’s tough to have gaps in one’s resume.

Employers should understand that “Life Happens” and there are unforeseen circumstances that can affect employment history.

Some advice I got was to organize my resume not chronologically, but by function:

What do you have experience in?

…If it’s something like retail, organize your resume in categories pertaining to retail.

Look up “functional resume” and you’ll get tons of templates.

Good luck!

2 Likes

The worst part is the “references” section of a resume. I have the phone numbers of some coworkers I worked with 5 years ago before sz, but I feel weird using them as references for current job applications. The longest I’ve been able to hold a job since having schizophrenia, is 2 months. Looks awful on a resume.

2 Likes

Yea, the whole “references” thing sucks.

I just leave references off the resume, so they’re basically “available by request.”

In case they request, I’ve used family members in the past… I’m lucky since they have a different last name than me so no red flags are raised.

2 Likes

Ive only had 2 jobs,
I dont have driver License,
No education,
i dont have the social competence for waitress,
Im not good at writing resume.
= catastrophe

1 Like

I once had the hair-brained idea of adding my therapist as a reference :rofl:

4 Likes

hmm, not a terrible idea actually. I wonder if that’s frowned upon by employers? Not sure. I might use my old case manager as a reference next time – he’s no longer my case manager as I have since changed agencies, but he’s a real nice guy.

3 Likes

Hmmmm :thinking:

I’m sure if you list him as a family friend or something, it would be fine. If your old case manager is down to be a reference, then that’s awesome!

I usually just have my references talk about my punctuality and good attitude towards work :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I had some bad gaps in my resume a couple of decades back and I explained that away as caring for someone who had health problems. I didn’t say I was caring for my health problems. I figured that I was the someone who needed care from myself was close enough. I’m not sure what to say about a series of short jobs other than being honest and emphasizing your good attitude, that you REALLY want to work. You’ll likely have to start with an entry level position and work your way up.

Good luck.

3 Likes

I just looked at local job page, no Jobs in my city except high education jobs

2 Likes

I have a bad resume now as I quit like 10 jobs 2011-2020. Quit jobs mostly after 1-2 weeks, one after a month and the last one after 9 months. I guess I can always get back into my last job as it was my mother’s accounting office, the boss is my mother’s best friend, she likes me and told me I can come back anytime. I worked with accounting softwares and Excel. I was also repairing their computers.

2 Likes

Yes, I am having trouble finding work because I took time away after getting married and having my son. I was hospitalized 6 times over 20 years too. My resume is bad as a result. The only experience I have from the last 7 years is working a few months at a day care. I’ve applied for receptionist jobs but the only offer I got was to work as a day care temp for a staffing agency. I declined it.

1 Like

Its was a job in a video games company that tests games for Ubisoft, Oculus, etc I was in Oculus VR section writing reports about game bugs. It was fun and made some friends there.

1 Like

OMG, getting paid to play Beat Saber.

1 Like

@shutterbug

I found the job using Indeed app. The company name is Keywords Studios. Its international.