Anhedonia in schizophrenia: Deficits in both motivation and hedonic capacity

In conclusion, patients with schizophrenia, especially those with prominent negative symptoms, showed deficits in both reward motivation and anticipatory pleasure experience.

4 Likes

i can definitely agree i have a deficit in anticipatory pleasure. I see most tasks just not being worth it. but when i eventually get the will power to do it , it becomes rewarding.

2 Likes

With some tasks it’s hard to see the pleasure especially if they are everyday household tasks. I have to change my sheet and duvet cover etc and have been putting it off for weeks . There is little anticipation of pleasure beyond a clean bed being nicer to sleep in for a few days.

For me it’s even things like going for a bike ride. I can’t see how it’s going to be worth it until I actually get myself to do it. Then I end up enjoying it.
Or a video game. I’ll just look at the game console and think if it’s worth even turning it on to play then I just sit there stuck.

I make plans… I look forward to them for a bit… but then I grow cold on the idea and end up sitting at home…

It is hard getting out and doing things… but once I’m there… I’m pretty glad I did it.

It is so easy for me to talk myself out of stuff… I wish I had a little more stick with it ability.

2 Likes