Alexithymia predicts poorer social and everyday functioning in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder

Highlights

Bipolar and schizophrenia groups scored lower on cognition compared to controls.

Bipolar and schizophrenia groups scored lower on functioning compared to controls.

Bipolar and schizophrenia groups scored higher on alexithymia compared to controls.

Difficulties in identifying and describing feelings predicted everyday functioning.

Difficulty in describing feelings predicted social functioning.

Abstract

Alexithymia, or the inability to identify and describe one’s emotions, is significantly higher in bipolar disorder (BD) and schizophrenia (SZ), compared to healthy controls (HC). Alexithymia has also been observed to predict psychosocial functioning in SZ. We investigated whether alexithymia predicted social and everyday functioning in BD, as well as transdiagnostically in HC, BD, and SZ patients. 56 BD, 45 SZ, and 50 HC were administered and compared on tests measuring neurocognition, social cognition, functioning and alexithymia. We conducted linear regressions assessing whether alexithymia predicted functional outcomes in BD. Next, we conducted hierarchical stepwise linear regressions investigating the predictive ability of neurocognition, social cognition and alexithymia on everyday and social functioning in our overall sample. BD and SZ patients were comparable on most demographics and demonstrated higher alexithymia compared to HCs. In BD, alexithymia predicted social functioning only. In the overall sample, difficulty identifying and describing feelings predicted everyday functioning; difficulty describing feelings predicted social functioning. Results suggest that aspects of alexithymia significantly predict functioning among these psychiatric groups, above and beyond the contributions of previously identified factors such as neurocognition and social cognition. Results may aid in developing proper interventions aimed at improving patients’ ability to articulate their feelings.

I thought I had scored fairly low on this.

Alexthymia%20test

Interesting. I changed in this in the past 2 years. I used to find it very hard to understand and express my emotions. Im still not the best, but a lot better than before. My friend also told me today. I scored low now on alexythymia.

I think learning how to recognize emotions, understanding what they come from and expressing them improved my psychotic symptoms and broader functioning.