Adventures in hospitalization

Bwwaaaaahaaahaaha. No one will sell me any form of life or traveller’s insurance. I have a heart condition where the median age at death is 40. I’m 47. I’m never getting insurance again, ever. The companys won’t touch me.

That’s one good thing about Obamacare. Can’t be denied or charged higher rates due to preexisting conditions.

1 Like

Same for our Universal Health Care in Canada. I’m talking about getting additional insurance outside of it. Only companies that still touch me are auto companies because my driver’s abstract and insurance history are both clean.

We have to purchase all of our healthcare individually, or qualify under our employers. Up until the ACA passed, anyone could be denied primary insurance or have their policy cancelled because of a costly health condition. Doctors wouldn’t diagnose a lot of things - asthma, for example - in order to protect their patients from losing coverage. My roommate has had ovarian cancer twice; she was pretty much uninsurable until 2014.

So anyway, your additional insurance here couldn’t deny you due to your heart condition.

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. Hang tight! I hope you feel better. :sunny:

1 Like

We need that here. Of course, what will happen is that my cohort will drive the costs up enough that NO ONE can afford the insurance. That’s the flip-side.

I’m done. Roomie just massively crapped himself. Had to call the nurse because he didn’t even wake up, but the odour was cloying. You know it’s bad when the nurses are gagging. Sitting down the hall with my phone and a cup of tea waiting for the stench to clear.

Messaged my wife five times to say, “get me Friday by five.” If the tests aren’t done, they aren’t done. I’ll just go home and die there, or something. I’m finished with this ■■■■.

Oh god. This has been an epic read. I can’t believe you have been stuck in hospital waiting for a test this long. I feel for you and hope the test and your discharge (healthy and all clear) comes swiftly.

@shutterbug I love you man. sorry this had to happen to you. I hope you get the care that you need. don’t go dyin’ on us now…good luck with getting taken care of and being home again soon.

Sheesh!—This really sounds like a nightmare. Request to speak with the doctor in charge of your case tomorrow morning and tell him that the lack of timely tests is putting your mental and physical health increasingly at risk at this point, to the extent that you are considering returning home without the tests. Maybe this would light a fire :fire: under the doctor’s butt since if Canada is anything like the US, doctors are always worried about liability, etc.

Hah!—I guess, you meant that quite literally in this case. (Darn, they don’t have a “hold your nose” stinky face emoji)

Anyway, hang in there and I hope things go better tomorrow.

Not up here. Liability laws are completely different.

Stick around for your tests. That’s an order.

1 Like

You’re harshing my trip. Buzz kill!

1 Like

It’s ok pixel don’t throw away your life over this it’s an evil unfair reality and I wish you all the best. My ex was taken into custody and hospitalized for a false accusation and other stuff like seems almost as if the world is on its way down to the levy. He was woken up at night and taken away. I didn’t think they could get away with that but apparently you can do anything anymore and no one will defend you it’s hard to accept help too when people are so conditioned by hostility or fear to be something without definition. Thankfully the insurance finally approved my anti psychotics so I can sleep well at night knowing I’m still normal.

So SO bored.

The first room I was put in with four people had a very aged looking senior who never moved and who was being fed through tubes. I guess the poor woman passed away yesterday afternoon while I was down getting the CT scan done. I’m glad I wasn’t here and also was put into a semi-private room as having to watch the crash team in there working on her would have been very stressful.

Smelly roommate is being discharged tomorrow, which is good. Tired of his other discharges and incessantly visiting family. He’s currently complaining to them about the cost of his handicapped parking pass, which blows my mind considering how often I’ve seen him walk into the wall beside the door. Dude should NOT be driving!

I discovered that there are three private rooms on the unit, but they’re strictly reserved for those who have those hospital superbugs that regular antibiotics don’t work on. They can’t put non-infected people in those rooms now because there is such a high chance of them picking up the bugs. There are contact caution signs on the doors and even the cleaning staff fully suit up before going in those rooms.

And that’s my boring day.

Most depressing thing from this week…

About 2 am this morning I saw a family of about 15 people come speeding into the cardiac ward. I wasn’t able to sleep so I was walking laps around the unit and saw them get out of the elevator. About half an hour they were leaving with some hugging and crying. Heard they were told to come in for someone who was dying, but they arrived too late and the person passed before they could do their farewells.

Anyhow, I’m about 3-4 hours from discharge. Looks like the problem is an old pacer lead left in my chest that worked loose in my heart and is causing irritation. Nothing serious, although the symptoms said it could have been something very serious. Now looking forward to being back in my home and giving the kitty some attention. I hear she has been missing me and sleeps with one of my dirty socks overnight because it has my scent on it.

Thanks to all for the support. Appreciate it.

5 Likes

Well, I’ve been in the hospital. I hate being a patient there.

Jayster

I suspect we are both very impatient patients. :wink:

That’s great. Glad it wasn’t serious this time. Hope you get to have many more years with your family before you go.

Glad you’re going back home! Finally!