A Software Shrink: Apps and Wearables Could Usher In an Era of Digital Psychiatry

Data is about to revolutionize the treatment of depression, schizophrenia, and many other disorders

Recent research results from a number of prestigious institutions, including Harvard, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, King’s College London, and the Black Dog Institute, in Australia, refute these claims. Studies show that psychiatric patients, even those with severe illnesses like schizophrenia, can successfully manage their conditions with smartphones, computers, and wearable sensors. And these tools are just the beginning. Within a few years, a new generation of technologies promises to revolutionize the practice of psychiatry.

To understand the potential of digital psychiatry, consider how someone with depression is usually treated today.

Depression can begin so subtly that up to two-thirds of those who have it don’t even realize they’re depressed. And even if they realize something’s wrong, those who are physically disabled, elderly, living in rural areas, or suffering from additional mental illnesses like anxiety disorders may find it difficult to get to a doctor’s office.

Full Story below:

6 Likes

Mental health apps listings and guide, from the One Mind Institute – description of the product, how to get it, expert ratings, research, and a lot more.

I would find a digital shrink to be a nice enhancement to the real one. Also, cutting down on driving for 4 hours plus an hour trying to find parking around a clinic that has NONE for a ten minute appointment would be a nice thing.

1 Like

Pixel you could try a skype dr. I’ve heard they exist

I haven’t had a chance to read the article yet, but there’s definitely room in psychiatry for computerized tools to help doctors determine best treatments. Not even the most experienced doc could compare 2000 brain scans and blood tests to yours and use it to determine which med would be most effective. And they can’t be on call 100% of the time.