A Meta-Analysis of Autobiographical Memory Studies in Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorder

I find this interesting as my memory of past events is patchy. When it comes to shared personal events from the past my brother recalls far more than I do.

1 Like

I think I posted something on this pretty recently.

For those who give a ■■■■ (because it helps them to understand the physiological nature of the disease, which can be helpful when it comes to making decisions about how to deal with it), the dopamine “hyper-reception” that occurs in the limbic (emotion regulation) system in sz and other psychotic spectrum disorders “beats” on the hippocampus, which is the key component for both storage and recall of memory.

When the little thing gets excitotoxified (after a few years on untreated sz, let’s say) its functions become severely impaired. Which is one of the reasons the person with sz should get on meds ASAP.

BUT… that said, the meds themselves impair the hippocampal function. (Sigh.) Though, one hopes, not nearly so much as untreated sz would do, and definitely by different – and here’s a point of major relevance: NON-permanent – means.

So if we ever find a better way to treat sz than dopamine-channel-blocking anti-Ps – i.e: one that doesn’t cause temporary memory upload and recall reduction – one may be able to recover something approaching full memory capacity, at least for new memories.

1 Like