Work progress

I have been working full time for almost a month now. I had an interview for another high paying job last week but I found out yesterday I didn’t get it. They didn’t like my answers to their questions.

But I am working 8 hours a day as an aircraft mechanic. They are paying me $15 an hour as an independent contractor so they don’t take any taxes out. The shop rate they charge the customers is $110 an hour. Today I did a brake job on a $750,000 turbo charged airplane.

I told Social Security I was working and they sent me a letter that says my case willl be reviewed in May of next year.

Thursday I go and see a vocational rehabilitation counselor at the VA and will ask about apprenticeships, on the job training or non paid work experience benefits so maybe my new employer will hire me as an employee and not just a contractor. I will also ask about help getting a government job. I have applied for about 85 of them.

So far I am keeping up with work but I don’t have much time when I get home but to shower, eat, watch an hour of tv and ask my wife for permission to go to sleep early. I have to sleep like 10 hours a night. Before I got sick I could operate fine on 5 or 6 hours.

But overall I guess I am doing okay so far.

10 Likes

Well done you. It’s not easy and keeping stress low is the key.

I can relate to the sleeping. I sleep similar hours and I’m on disability these days.

Hope it all works out for you!

2 Likes

You have a very responsible position, congrats. You must be doing something right. Actually, a lot of things right.

2 Likes

Awesome news. Good on you for going back to work.

Oh and good luck with the VA voc rehab counselor. I hear that’s a great program! :+1:

2 Likes

Scratch one bogey at a time ace. Glad to hear you’re doing well. I really liked those F-14’s designed for air to air combat. Not to get off topic but considering you’re an aircraft aficionado, those multipurpose F-35’s are nice and sweet aren’t they? You’re like an X-51 man. Keep improving.

1 Like

At Fort Hunter Ligget they have a rail way which almost slings jets out to mach 3 in a matter of seconds… like an aircraft carrier but faster. It can traverse the entire coast of California in a matter of seconds at a high altitude and be anywhere in the world within minutes should it go up and down in altitude. Of course that is discounting anti aircraft weaponry. The possibilities for passenger vehicles are awesome.

1 Like

I went to see the Voc Rehab counselor yesterday and I asked her straight up with my 100% permanent and total disability rating for sz if I can work at all.

She said so long as I am stable I can work and that I won’t lose my disability rating. She said the VA has already determined my condition is permanent.

She is going to consider me for a non paid work experience with the Army Corps of engineers maybe. That may lead to better pay than working on airplanes. I will wait and see next month.

I wish I could have gotten that in writing.

3 Likes

Amazing! Keep us updated.