Traumatic Brain Injury and Mental Illnesses

"If you suffer a head trauma, your risk of developing certain mental disorders increases significantly – in some cases by more than 400 percent, new study reveals.

By comparing the injured people’s risk of developing the disorders with the rest of the study population, they found that those with head injuries were:

65 percent more likely to be diagnosed with schizophrenia.
59 percent more likely to develop a depression.
28 percent more likely to be diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
439 percent more likely to suffer from organic mental disorders.

The greatest risk of developing a mental disorder is in the first year after suffering head trauma, but even after 15 years there was a significantly increased risk."

Found the following podcast quite interesting:

3 Likes

Interesting, I hurt my head badly twice as a kid.

2 Likes

I fell down the stairs as a child and injured my head quite badly and had a concussion when I was a teenager. Hmm

3 Likes

there can be lots of causes of severe MI that most do not not know about:

1. brain injury
  2. tumors/cancers
  3. infections
  4. stroke
  5. congenital mutations/genetic mutations
  6. posionings/ drugs/alcohol
  7. seizures
    A friend of mine had a stroke. She was at work and felt confused. She finished her paper work, and locked herself in the bathroom with the computer to find out what happened.

She then saw that diabites could lead to stroke. She went to the hospital for 5 days. When we showed her the paperwork she filled out before she left, it was all 5s and 7s in different orders, two whole sheets of them. She swore she thought she was adding different numbers.

No numbness or drooping face, nothing. A lasting affect of many stroke victims is paranoia. I no longer talk to her much as she wont talk to hardly anyone. We think she is suffering paranoia.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this article.

TBI causes multiple brain dysfunction with symptoms ranging from PTSD to depression. I know someone who slipped on a patch of ice beneath the snow while getting into his car. Unfortunately, he knocked his head against the pavement during the fall. It took a six month stay in hospital, rehabilitation exercises to regain his co-ordination and hours of talking therapy sessions to begin the first steps of the initial recovery phase. He told me recently that he still feels anxiety for no particular reason whereas before the accident he had no such anxiety. It is a cautionary tale to be aware of unseen ice which may be beneath your feet after snow settles.

1 Like

i had a pretty serious head injury as a child (they thought i had cracked my skull open at first), i already had shown signs of some of my mental illnesses prior to that but i wonder if it had anything to do with schizophrenia eventually developing since i dont have a family history of it or anything

1 Like

I had a severe TBI when I was 11.

Still going through the motions of treating this neurological problem or psychological problem.

1 Like

Oh wow! I was in a rollover car accident as a child and had a terrible concussion.