Should I take a fast paced , dirty job, or a grocery store position?

I had an interview at a used book warehouse this morning. It went alright, and I might take the job. It’s dirty, fast paced, but there’s very little social interaction which is what gets me stressed out the most. Then there is a clean, similar paying job at a grocery store and I interview for that tomorrow

Pros of the warehouse position, I could earn more (it’s speed / incentive based pay), I could listen to music , I wouldn’t have to fake smile to customers . And I get free books.

Cons: it is fast paced and I am not a fast paced mover. I could get used to merely scanning the books/ pressing buttons but I’d feel pressured to meet quota.

Grocery store position pros are that I would increase my social flexibility, it would be clean environment

Cons: last time I worked I had to quit bc of social anxiety . This might happen if I take the grocery store position.

Any thought?

1 Like

does it bother you to be dirty? Do you have asthma? are you fit?

I would take the warehouse position.

2 Likes

Nope, dirty is no problem. There is no AC though

do you have any breathing problems? are you in shape? Can you tolerate the heat? how old are you?

No breathing problems . I’m out of shape , the heat isn’t a big issue. I’m 20 …

how out of shape? would you be able to handle the work physically?

It’s only standing and working with ur hands for eight hours. Not really a workout. I used to play basketball a lot so I can handle it if I need to. Have u worked in a warehouse before?

yes I have, and I really liked it. It was nice to not have to think too hard and liked the family atmosphere. So if you can handle it physically /I say definitely the warehouse job

1 Like

The warehouse job sounds better to me as social interaction can definitely lead to problems. At 20 the labor is usually not an issue. You may want to move to the grocery store job when you get older and less able to do the heavy labor or maybe something else. One good thing about staying on your feet as long as your feet can take it is that you can keep the weight down from any meds you take.

2 Likes

I lost my last two jobs to my illness and haven’t worked for 7 years. I too am now looking to get back into the job market.
My advice is
…drum roll…GROCERY STORE.
AND here’s why:

1. No quotas = less stress.:smile_cat:
1 Like

I would like to work in a warehouse if I had a job.

1 Like

Take the job that you would enjoy the most.
Your young enough to fit into both jobs nicely.

1 Like

I would take the warehouse job.

I kinda understand what you mean by moving slow, but since your standing in one place, most of it is hands on/muscle memory. I don’t think it would take too long to pick up speed if it’s as simple enough as you explained. Plus it’s probably more family type vibes which are always good. Just make sure you’re well rested and you stretch out your muscles, so you don’t cramp up.

Whichever job you choose to go with, I wish you luck! :sunny:

2 Likes

less stress if you are doing well.
Warehouse fast paced is a disaster sometimes.

Me personally could not do a high stress job at all. =(

2 Likes

Here are some cons/pros you missed

Warehouse Job: Everyone is a jerk.

Grocery Store- Managers are jerks. You have to put on this fake smile that kills a little of your soul every day…

1 Like