Reversing the negative effects of adolescent marijuana use

4 Likes

I misread it with negative symptoms. …!!!

2 Likes

■■■■ me. This is massive.

Full article: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-11645-8

@spiderpig

3 Likes

Also:

Why? It’s not like we know if cannabis can cause schizophrenia. Trying to find out how to reverse a damage we haven’t been able to show even exists. Now that’s what I call getting ahead of yourself.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I can be pretty irritable in the morning. What I was trying to say is that although this research could be useful to explore whether cannabis can cause lasting detrimental changes that lead to psychiatric symptoms, it’s way too early to start talking about how we can reverse cannabis-induced schizophrenia.

It is obvious that if there is a causal chain between cannabis and schizophrenia, the overall effect is probably very small. When cannabis use soars, the number of new schizophrenia cases stays the same. This is particularly strange since schizophrenia is an uncommon illness, cannabis has become a common drug, and the increased risk they are suggesting is large. I’m sure there are many reasons why many scientists commit one of the most unscientific errors in all of science, and ignore this contrary evidence because it doesn’t fit with their hypothesis that cannabis causes schizophrenia, but I don’t think it’s very productive. If we want to help people who use drugs, I think it’s best to be honest. I was a cannabis addict. Being told I was brain damaged did not increase my motivation to get better, and it didn’t help me trust my doctors when I found out they had been grossly misrepresenting the facts.

Yeah this could be good news for people like me with schizo who used to smoke weed as a teen, so heres hoping it leads to something in humans sometime soon :slight_smile:

1 Like