Preventing Schizophrenia during Pregnancy with high Choline Intake

This is a little old - but wanted to make sure everyone knows about it:

This new study shows the potential for prenatal choline to significantly reduce the risk of mental illness in children. While this one study only focuses on schizophrenia, stress hormones during pregnancy (which choline reduces significantly) increases risk of all mental illness - so this approach likely will reduce the incidences of all mental illnesses. This is really big news.

6 Likes

and related new study:

In this review, we highlight some of these provocative findings, which suggest that supplementing the maternal diet with additional choline may serve as an effective and safe prenatal strategy for improving cognitive, affective, and neural functioning in Downs Syndrome (DS). In light of growing evidence that all pregnancies would benefit from increased maternal choline intake, this type of recommendation could be given to all pregnant women, thereby providing a very early intervention for DS fetuses, and include babies born to mothers unaware that they are carrying a DS fetus.

Source:

and additional related studies:

I wonder why these things are not advertised as much as folic acid, B-vitamins and other pregnancy/lactation related supplements.
It gotta have something with the myth of a ‘blessed maternity’ and the silence around postpartum depression.

No… The research is still very early and inconclusive.

1 Like

I have been taking Phosphatidyl Choline for years, as recommended by my biochemist.

Jayster

My parents were children of the depression, Therefore, when I was conceived and born, our diet was mainly of the cheapest foods available: lots of pasta, for one.

Jayster

I wonder if it could cause harm in some ways, too. I’m not a scientist.

There is always some risk. But the researchers have gotten their institutional review board to approve 6+ grams a day as safe for pregnant wen and they have done at least one long term study so it looks safe.

why did they not consume eggs instead which is also a high source of choline .is it to avoid the high cholestrol in eggs

The quantity of choline that was used in the studies is between 3.5 and 6 grams a day - far exceeding the amount you could get from eggs. One egg yolk has about 115 mg of choline - so you’d have to take about 30 to 55 eggs a day to get that amount of choline from eggs. Most people would prefer to just to take the soy lecithin capsules that typically have 500mg or so of choline per capsule.

1 Like

no if youlook at the study you will find that only 10-13 % of the kind of choline is absorbed as choline probarbly a name phosphtaycholine somethging like that .so it equal six noraml eggs and i read in the study somebody writing equal to three large eggs will post the link .that is not too much and even if 3-6 eggs are too much i believe one could take one or two concerning the fact that you get the extra selenum and amiunoacids and vitamins ad e lutein etc

also it is better to take from a natural source(to the level possible)

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/10/22/498843225/can-mental-illness-be-prevented-in-the-womb

here iot says 13-15% of it is equal to choline and it mentions it is equal to 900 mg .fine that is seven to eight normal eggs .or three to four large eggs .well we could at least aime for two small or I large

My tendency would be to go with the approach used by the scientists doing the studies - so I would use the Soy Lecithin capsules that the researcher used in their study. Eating a lot of eggs each day may be similar - but I suspect it would be hard for most people to eat that number of eggs each day, plus it would be quite expensive.

1 Like

if aperosn has an allergy to soya is it possible to go for some other form of choline .Lecithin can be derived from other sources?

Lecithin is a derivative of soy - I don’t think that the processed soy lecithin is going to trigger an allergic reaction that soy would - but I could be wrong. You’d have to research this and not just assume its the case.

well the post from wiki seems to suggest that there is egg based lecithin also and it does not increas the cholestrol

but there is a problem the last line says
A growing body of evidence indicates lecithin is converted by gut bacteria into trimethylamine-N-oxide (TMAO), which is released into circulation, and may with time contribute to atherosclerosis and heart attacks.[31][32][33]

egg derived lecithin is not usually a concern for those allergic to eggs since commercially available egg lecithin is highly purified and devoid of allergy-causing egg proteins.[25] Egg lecithin is not a concern for those on low-cholesterol diets, because the lecithin found in eggs markedly inhibits the absorption of the cholesterol contained in eggs.[26]