Off-Med Journal

This is by no means an encouragement to stop taking medication. I am very interested in the way Abilify effected me and seeing how huge of a change I’ve experienced since dropping it. I am also using journaling as a way to see when and if any of my psychotic symptoms increase now that I have stopped meds. (They didn’t go away to begin with though…) I think that pharmaceutical companies should be getting constant feedback on the extent of the side effects these medications are causing.

On Abilify 10 mg: Daily severe anxiety attacks to point of mania, dizziness and blacking out upon standing up, digestive troubles, twitching in hands and mouth, hand tremors, became incredibly impatient and attention span shortened making very difficult to focus on anything. Avolition amplified whereas Zoloft had taken it away.

Day 1 Off: First day in nearly 2 months I did not have to deal with jitteriness or anxiety attacks/mental breakdowns. No twitching in hands or mouth. Still some dizziness and blacking out earlier in day but it reduces as the day passes. No digestive issues. Impatience is reduced to where I can actually watch a show that’s 40 minutes long again, though I still had trouble focusing only on the show. Avolition still present. Still have noticeable tremors in hands. Also noticed I was not very drowsy all day for once though I hadn’t even attributed that to Abilify.

Day 2 Off: Tremors in hand are much less noticeable but are still present. Avolition strong. I’ll update this as I experience more of today.

1 Like

thats a great idea to keep a journal i think your doc would be interested in that info also to help treat you in the future much of the time docs are just shooting in the dark with not too much to go on and can help him/her help other patients as well excellent idea :+1:

1 Like

From drugs.com

Sertraline may increase the blood levels of ARIPiprazole. This can increase the risk and/or severity of side effects such as drowsiness, seizure, Parkinson-like symptoms, abnormal muscle movements, and low blood pressure. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. Contact your doctor if you experience agitation, aggression, confusion, convulsions, muscle spasm, or movements that you can’t stop or control such as lip smacking, chewing, puckering, frowning or scowling, tongue thrusting, teeth clenching, jaw twitching, blinking, eye rolling, shaking or jerking of arms and legs, tremor, jitteriness, restlessness, pacing, and foot tapping. Also be alert to symptoms of low blood pressure such as dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or increased pulse or heart rate. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how these medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position, especially at the beginning of treatment or after an increase in dose of ARIPiprazole. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

1 Like

Yeah I saw that too, which is why I was looking for APs that wouldn’t have serious reactions with Zoloft. Latuda was one that didn’t seem that bad.

1 Like

Going meds free is never easy, I’d recommend getting your GP/PDoc on board for a meds change showing them that notice for Zoloft aripiprazole.

Because meds non compliance is responsible for a large percentage of hospital admissions.

I also had problems on in hosp when on aripiprazole, but I don’t know if that was from being re-established on meds.

Keeping a diary is an excellent idea. Put all your symptoms in it and take it to your psychiatrist.

1 Like

I’m doing my best to get put back on an AP but it has not been easy getting in contact with my pdoc. I definitely agree I need medication, but medication that is effective for me and that does not interact horribly with my other meds.

1 Like

Maybe find out if their is another PDOC you could see as a emergency referral?

For me none of the 5 or so AP’s have worked fully on me, there was no magic bullet. So I have found my AP as a bit of a compromise, not being perfect but working enough.

But I mange to be a high functioning schizophrenic :smiley:

1 Like