News: 'Star Wars' young Anakin Skywalker actor Jake Lloyd diagnosed with schizophrenia

This is big news if its true - and I see that story in the past was posted in the past - but interesting. It would be great if the parents and Jake were more open about it.

I find it rather surprising that his experience of being a child star was so negative - here is an interview with him a few years ago:

and a photo from star wars:

http://nme.assets.ipccdn.co.uk/images/2015StarWarsGallery_AnakinSkywalker_Press_131115.article_x4.jpg

From the newspaper report:

Jake Lloyd, best known for portraying young Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, has reportedly been diagnosed with schizophrenia.

The actor, who rose to fame in 1999 at the age of 10, was arrested last June after a high-speed chase with police in South Carolina, which saw him exceed speeds of 100mph. TMZ reports that he has been moved from jail to a psychiatric facility following his medical diagnosis.

Lloyd’s mother, Lisa, revealed the news to TMZ, further adding that the move has seen an improvement in the former child star’s mental health.

Reports state that there is no time frame for Lloyd’s stay in the psychiatric facility and that “his family wants him to take his time to get healthy”.

Full story here:

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/-star-wars-young-anakin-skywalker-actor-jake-lloyd/404301

More details on Jake here:

6 Likes

That’s nice but I can already hear the jokes about how “the force is strong with this one.”

1 Like

thats really sad, he was such a nice bright young boy in that film its hard to imagine he would grow up and develop a mental illness, life for him must be a lot harder outside of the force, i can see in the interview that something seems not quite right about him although i could be wrong he seems to be rocking a little where he sits but that could be nothing, has left me feeling pretty crap knowing this but i guess we were all young and bright one day, where that goes nobody knows, just wish we could hold on to that forever, into adult hood and beyond, its a tough illness :frowning: sorry for being so depressing.

2 Likes

Well thats shitty but i guess it’s to be expected with this life.

Yep, just a bunch of â– â– â– â– â– â–  over people really.

I think this case adds to the popular culture stigma, as it’s high profile.

2 Likes

Too bad he got arrested, but at least he’s on a psychiatric facility now. Poor Anakin!

3 Likes

Actually, I think its counter-stigma, or stigma destroying because if it (schizophrenia) can happen to a “movie star” (as I think virtually any of the main star-wars actors could be called) it can happen to anyone - so you really can’t be judgemental towards people with schizophrenia.

4 Likes