News about neural signature of negative symptoms

You did some good research lol, but ive read about it and if im right it only seems to help with anxiety and mood. I have differebt negative symptoms mine are like tired motivation and alogia.

1 Like

Im serious excited about min 101, but were iti 007 and encenicline also this promising or less?

2 Likes

Encenicline was going to be the first cognitive med. On top of that it seemed to have a surefire mechanism of action on paper. I was convinced it couldn’t not work.

As for iti-007, the reason to get on it is probably not for its efficacy. It is appealing because it is so safe compared to our current antipsychotics. So no metabolic syndrome and possibly much less tardive especially at lower doses. If Iti works for your psychosis you should stay on it for your own health.

The reason min-101 might work for negative symptoms is that it doesn’t have any direct dopamine blocking. That means, if the sigma 2 and serotonin 2a blocking increase dopamine in key areas then that is not blocked by the dopamine blocking. Minerva are using half an atypical antipsychotic without the half which might be stopping the other half from improving negative symptoms.

1 Like

But if you use lets say haldol will have min effect, because of the full dopamine blocking?

1 Like

Depends on how far apart you take them. Haldol stays in your system quite a while. Chances are taking a strong D2 blocker with min-101 will decrease the effects of the latter on negative symptoms.

Good observation. I thought of this too. Usually if you take two of these types of drugs at the same time one will block some receptors and the other will go to the remaining ones which it then blocks. So it will be like you are on one antipsychotic.

It might have less of an effect on the negative and cognitive symptoms. More factors play a role, such as dosages and the nature of the treatee’s individual dysfunction.

It’s being tested as a monotherapy in the trials, meaning nobody knows exactly how it will react if used alongside other atypical or typical aps.

So it might get to work for negs, but if it comes to positive symptoms it will be exciting, because there is a chance that it wont work for positive symptoms for some like every ap. If this is true i think that might be the reason why people dropped out of the trial, but its al speculation lol

1 Like

Wow, you are really observant. Thanks for pointing that out, that so many people dropped out. Maybe Minerva are covering that up by drawing attention to the good results for those who remained.

Some people also brought up that the good results might just be from a “drug holiday” where people were taken off their normal antipsychotic. They said that might be the reason negative sx improved in some.

A lot of big gaping holes in the story, thanks for pointing that out, actually I guess @twinkle pointed it out.

I didnt observed it by myself but i heard it on this forum, but coudl my theory be right?
And do you believe it that if people stopped with their ap that negs improved? In my case i just went nuts when i quitted.
But i sense you are a bit sceptical with min 101 right so i want to know what your view is on min 101?

1 Like

I started out really skeptical, especially since iti-007 at lower doses didn’t improve negative symptoms much. Since they are similar (along with nuplazid) if one of these three does something for negative sx I would be convinced the others might.

There is also the issue of sub-optimal effectiveness for positive sx. Basically the current atypicals are effective (and a bit better than typicals) because they have a two or three pronged attack. Hitting dopaminergic, serotonergic and possibly adrenergic receptors (and maybe some others I don’t know). If you remove one of the heavy hitters (D2) you might find less people responding less to the new “antipsychotic”.

2 Likes

Minerva says that positive symptoms remained stable - but presumably that would be in the patients who remained in the trial. (Edited to add, it actually says general psychopathology improved over the study period. But it doesn’t say by how much, if it wasn’t statistically significant, that would be why they would want to concentrate on negative symptoms to get it approved.)

I don’t know what the average level of dropouts is in sz trials.

The phase 3 trials will focus on people with predominately negative symptoms.

I think for some people, current meds add to negative symptoms but for others, it’s just the disease.

They are not testing MIN 101 in florid psychosis. Possibly it will be used in polypharmacy. It’s probably not going to act fast, the way Haldol or risperidone would to stop a psychotic episode, but over time, perhaps the brain’s chemistry could stabilize.

1 Like

Perhaps for people with both strong positive and negative symptoms they will investigate polypharmacy with future drugs like evenamide, naben, F17464, and CBD. I think they did find CBD as effective as amisulpride for positive symptoms without much in the way of side effects.

1 Like

And are you excited about min 101 or a different drug?
Tnx for answering my questions btw

1 Like

I’m excited about them all, frankly. :slight_smile:

Sadly, some of them will fail, but I do think some will succeed.

1 Like

Do you have a thought about which med has the highest chance of getting approved?

1 Like

What makes me lean toward a structural abnormality as the cause of the negative symptoms is the fact that they are very stable (at least in my form of illness), they don’t fluctuate in time. Whereas positive symptoms tend to dip and rise more.

1 Like

While there clearly is a structural difference, you may have had that since birth without overt symptoms. So something has changed, probably chemically. Although there’s no answers now, that could change.

2 Likes

I’m guessing that sodium benzoate and CBD both have excellent chances since there has been a lot of study in addition to the phase 1 and 2 trials.

It’s harder to say with proprietary meds like MIN 101 and evenamide because not as much information is public. I think they have fair or better chances, but ultimately it will come down to the results of the trials.

2 Likes

Maybe I should make a new thread for this, but since we discussed it earlier here the dropout rate on the clinical trial for MIN 101. It seemed very high, but I found this for a study on risperidone, which works, however much it may suck - a 60% dropout rate, with a higher dropout rate among the placebo group, for probably obvious reasons.

So, these new meds aren’t the only ones with these problems, even the (now) old standards have them.

A study of 21 studies of APs with an average drop out rate of 57%. @eduvigis

1 Like