Med change - Risperidone to Caplyta

Time to kick Risperidone to the curb after four months of a failed experiment.

Starting Caplyta next week when I get the prescription from the mail order pharmacy.

Thank goodness for excellent health insurance. I’m hoping this helps with my insomnia. I see from the Caplyta site that 24% of people experience drowsiness. I haven’t slept through the night pretty much since I started Risperidone in October, so if I can get quality sleep, that’s a bonus. I will be taking it at bedtime.

I know @SpringRose and @Mars are on it - anyone else?

3 Likes

Best of luck with it all!

2 Likes

Caplyta has given me serious improvement to my negatives. It took a few months or so to kick in but it is working. I’m still taking the max dose of Geodon. Oh and it makes me fall asleep 8 hours. Not as much as Seroquel which was like 12 hours either which is nice.

4 Likes

I tried it once, for a few months, and it did nothing. It was like being on nothing at all. I had to go back to abilify, which has always worked great.

I know it’s one of the weakest APs on the market, but it’s supposed to be good for losing weight. Hope this helps

1 Like

I hallucinate more on it, but it’s OK. I know it’s hallucinations. I am tired during the day. I can function though. So, I like it because the side effects are more tolerable. They’re not perfect though.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I think @John_Raven is on it. But I think he’s also on another AP too.

2 Likes

I’ve heard it’s a weaker AP, but I am also tired of being a fat med zombie, so I am willing to give it a shot. :slight_smile:

I gained 26 pounds on Invega and another 18 on Risperidone. I need that GONE. I’m getting bloodwork done in the morning - I’m positive Risperidone is hitting my prolactin like Invega did three meds ago. I’m not totally sure why she put me on Risperidone when Invega messed it up. I think because Risperidone is supposed to be a heavy hitter. IDK. But the side effects I’m getting on Risperidone are truly awful. Can’t live with them anymore.

Anyway, this will be my EIGHTH AP damn it, so I really hope it goes well. I am willing to put up with a certain level of hallucinations if the paranoia and delusions improve. As they say, we’re all different, so maybe what’s weaker to one person might not be for me. Freaking meds…can’t live with them or without them. :roll_eyes: :grimacing:

Thanks for all the replies. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been on Caplyta exclusively since the fall of 2020. I swapped from Abilify. The change was great for me personally. Caplyta doesn’t give me the heavy sedation that I had on Abilify. I also don’t get the akathisia that affected quality of life.

The negative symptoms/side effects markedly improved. I still have weight gain/metabolic side effects and I do feel anxiety on it, but it was probably worse on Abilify. In all, for me, it is a lighter med that has helped improve my life.

I don’t think the med is well tolerated by everyone, I have heard that for some people it isn’t a great option. I see it as a good option for people who don’t need a heavier, sedating med.

2 Likes

Thank you. That’s very helpful!

1 Like

I forgot to say I don’t have weight gain on Caplyta.

2 Likes

Best of luck with it @Shmookitty

1 Like

Oh dear smooth kitten I truly understand that sleep deprivation is a very, very serious issue. I red that the most common side effect of Calypta is sleepiness and solemness. I hope you get that side effect and that Calypta will keep the psychosis at bay.

2 Likes

Thanks for speaking up regarding this medication. In my experience it was a terrible medication as well (Risperidone).

1 Like

Got my blood results back. Instead of being normal at 20 or less, my prolactin was 191.

I knew it.

Thank goodness the mail order pharmacy is shipping my Caplyta on Tuesday, so I can start Wednesday night.

Good riddance Risperdone.

3 Likes

just chiming in from my past experience,
despondently discontinued because unfortunately it made me wake up every night
fitbits are nice to track hours slept
best of luck
:butterfly: :steam_locomotive:
:jack_o_lantern: :jack_o_lantern:

1 Like

I’m on caplyta along with haldol and Geodon. The negative symptoms is improved a lot with caplyta, however, the positive symptoms are not as well treated in my view, making me need two other antipsychotics.

3 Likes

Thank you for your replies!

2 Likes