Life Expectancy

It’s cuz schizophrenia persons smoke and don’t workout don’t be a statistic

I know we all been caused harm one way or another. It sucks. We are so like our “four-legged friends.” We are so vulnerable. Will anyone rescue us like they do our “four-legged friends?” Will anyone find treatments that are good for us rather than hurt us so much? I had to stop taking my Invega over the weekend because it was causing my throat to make scary noises and I was afraid it would close up and I wouldn’t be able to breathe. I am now off all the crazy meds and neither my throat or nose are making noises when I lie down in the evening. I am taking vitamin b6 at bedtime and vitamin b12 at breakfast. I am finally getting my dreams back slowly but surely. I see my therapist on Thursday and I’ll tell him about the meds. I have been taking meds for years and I’m finally getting tired of what are doing to my body and mind. I have heard of CBT and when the pdoc thought I had borderline personality disorder she tried to get me involved; but I couldn’t afford the cbt group every week. I think I had a book on it once; but, lost it. Does anyone know how it helps sz and bp; and not just personality disorders? I guess I have been sort of skeptical of it. I don’t have to feel normal or even well all the time. I just want the bulk of the pain caused by both the diseases and the meds to go away so I can be a part of life again. Is that too much too ask of Spirit, the Universe, and the Goddess?

I gave it some thought as to why we would even want to get old like everyone else. So I told my doctor that if I were ever dying from some grave illness that I had brought upon myself due to my bad habits that I would refuse treatment other than any comfort that could be given on my way out. So, I have come to the conclusion that it is simply our instincts to survive anything that would befall us because Life is all we really know and are aware of our being sure that it still can be enjoyed.

Grey kitten don’t take supplements they cause cancer workout every day and don’t smoke don’t worry

I’m surprised no ones mentioned the “suicide” factor. I remember a post way back by @SZAdmin saying that life expectancy of those who take their meds is far better than those who don’t.

Yeah it’s not fair we have to take meds with physical side-effects but it’s better than the alternative I believe.

There’s also the risk of alcohol and cigarette abuse we seem to have that can cause us to live shorter.

1 Like

The research seems to show the opposite.

I think they are still trying to figure this out - but it could be because they include people who don’t get treatment and who live on the street (very poor prognosis and lifespan there), and perhaps also, sadly, the people who take their lives.

1 Like

Im sorry, but I don’t trust the research

1 Like

If it’s death cardiovascular it’s from poor hygiene smoking drinking and bad foods what don’t you trust?

Its the ■■■■■■■ meds - get real.

It sure seems to me that the medications cause a general weakening of the body that makes us more prone towards a lot of different diseases. I know I would be a lot stronger physically if I didn’t take medications. Before I was put on med’s any time I felt like it I could do 2,000 repititions on the jump rope and never miss. Now it’s hard to do 200. I live around a lot of sz’s and sza’s. It’s surprising how many of them have COPD and have to use breathing machines. Most of them are about my age - 56. I think the med’s increase the bad effects of smoking on sz’s. There is a surprising number of diabetics here too. It seems like a lot of us age pre-maturely.

It’s addictions it’s part of the illness

Antipsychotics particularly cause cardiovascular issues and metabolic issues - its a well known fact.
My pdoc was brutally honest with me, she said that she is hesitant in prescribing me new meds, because of my metabolic and liver issues.

The meds do a lot of good , but honestly are toxic for the body - Ive been taking meds since the 70s - I know the damage that they can cause - my liver, kidneys, metabolism and sexual functioning have all taken a big hit because of the meds - I am not anti meds, but I like to be honest about these things

I went back on the e cig lastnight and am working on quitting nicotine. I expect my health to improve. I think smoking and getting diabetes are the major things that impact our health.

1 Like

Addictions and a high suicide rate also play a role - but they are not the sole cause for the shorter life expectancy - diabetes is a big one

If you want a long life be close to family and friends grow a garden go to church work a job you are on your feet and eat nuts and seeds

Some contributing factors for low life expectancy. Sedentary lifestyle, bad sleep habits, obesity, stress. Any one of those over a long period of time can put anyone, schizophrenic or not at risk for major, sometimes fatal illnesses.

Good advice - I dont want to discourage others from taking their meds - I personally need to function, so I take my meds religously … but… i am at a very frustrating point in my life where I am experiencing multiple side effects from the meds - I am very frustrated.

Just to be clear - I think that you are probably significantly right in many ways. The research article I linked to actually also agrees to a point:

“Among patients with schizophrenia, the cumulative antipsychotic exposure displays a U-shaped curve for overall mortality, revealing the highest risk of death among those patients with no antipsychotic use.”

Its a U shaped curve - so people on very high doses of medications also may have problems / and earlier death.

of course - you’d have to read the full paper to really understand what they are saying. But the study is based on over 20,000 people who had schizophrenia in Sweden - a place were there isn’t much Pharma company influence - so it seems like pretty good research.

1 Like

Thanks for the info @SzAdmin - I tend to blame the meds, when new side effects crop up.
I did not have the best day - I simply dont function without the meds - I may ask for a more metabolic friendlier antipsychotic to take - there are safer options for me to explore

1 Like

What a bunch of bunk if you’re worried start working out and sitting less and not smoking and eating well