Jared Wilmer Mental Health Coach - I Can’t Afford Mental Health Care

January 22, 2015

If you are in the situation where you are financially unable to get treatment then there are some things to consider. The first is do you have health insurance? Sometimes insurance can be more of a burden than a help since it will disqualify you from certain programs. Add in high deductibles, large co-pays and large premiums and you may find yourself still not being able to afford treatment.

The next question is, have you considered applying for disability? Certain mental illnesses are “on the list” of conditions that are considered disabling such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. If you are accepted most of your treatment costs will be covered under Medicare.

http://jaredwilmer.com/i-cant-afford-mental-health-care/

2 Likes

Something I jotted down awhile ago. Was part of my survival guide with mental illness. It;s like 8 pages on words so gets a bit lengthy to post all of it. But anyway.

There are ways around money changing hands. Most churches offer free counselling these days. Places like the YMCA offer free sessions with qualified psychologists and open to all. Are some free alternative treatments places like Grow. Which is basicly AA converted to mental health treatments. Which is an Australian program but moving rapidly in other countries. So can’t give a link for your area. But google it.

Not so much a problem in my neck of the woods but be wary of cults if you go looking at alternative treatments. I posted Grow as has a very good reputation.

Most therapists are very much open to the barter system also. One therapist I was just doing odd jobs around his property in exchange.for treatment. Some of the smaller minorities have support groups and free counselling seasons. For example being a family member of a Vietnam vet in Australia! I’m eligible for free psychologist sessions. I’ve used it often. Most of those sessions where out sourced to be fined tuned to my needs.

A practice patient for a trainee psychologist. All while being supervised by a more qualified person is another option for free therapy. I know it sounds a bit scary but these people are more than qualified to help just lack fieldwork. If anything, a Uni student is likely to more down to earth. More understanding that you have no idea where your next meal might be coming from, than an overpaid, underworked, very old therapist.

Most therapists got into the line of work to help people. If your willing to do the work. Most are more than happy to help for free or look at alternatives.

So there you are. There are other ways of getting help then money changing hands. Ask, beg, plead, think creatively!

2 Likes