I'm going to have a new pdoc

I feel scared, I haven’t had a new pdoc in two years and I respected my other one, she worked well with my nurse and knew how to handle me…

I don’t like new doctors, it makes me feel vulnerable, what if they’re a spy and will take me off my pills, I have visions of my pdoc from hospital who was a narcissist, I haven’t had any trouble from the two docs I’ve had since entering adult services I trusted them. I hope that my doc chose wh would take over my case and other people who feel vulnerable around new docs.

It will take a while for me to trust anyone with my mental health, I hope I don’t have to see them for a bit, I’ll ask my nurse about them. But when I hear new doc, I feel that they’ll treat me as badly as the ones I had when I was acute, It jus pushes me backwards.

I’m a bit backwards right now anyway. I’m hoping I’ll be undertsyood in my fear of new doc, how do you deal with this feeling… I haven’t felt this in so long, it makes me feel so small, and sad, at the will of the person taking over my care.

My mum thinks its good to change docs once in a while but I couldn’t disagree more. I feel alone right now… I’ve had a hard week. I just want to hide.

I’m retreating and the idea of a new doc just makes me retreat a bit further.

Does anyone understand? I’m imagining I’m not alone in this, maybe I am, but I dot think so somehow.

Sorry to post again.
Take care,
Meg.

1 Like

Hi @Dante13 - I am in the same shoes as you - I see a brand new General Practitioner tomorrow and am a bit anxious about it. Some irrational thoughts pop up - but I realize that it is based on my anxiety.
It is perfectly natural to feel some anxiety when seeing a new doctor, after all its the unknown, and this can be a bit scary.
The reality is that nothing terrible will happen, the worst thing that can happen is you may not like him or her, so you just see someone else. Try to relax, it might even go well - he or she may end up to be a very good doctor. good luck!! :smiley:

4 Likes

I admit… it’s been a long time since I’ve had to deal with this situation.

But it’s hugely scary… our whole functioning lays on one or two tiny pills… for me… get that wrong and good by job… apartment… lucid hold on life… and have to rebuild all the up again… It’s not like a new doc and dealing with a broken arm or something ordinary.

Considering your past with that one doc… this is completely understandable. Being tossed between doctors without your consent… I can fully understand how that just makes your own health feel out of your hands… It’s not a good feeling.

But on the other hand… as much as it hurts and as much as it’s scary… it is what it is…

So… I’d say… maybe tell the new doc going in how this makes you feel… give the doc a chance? The only thing I could suggest is to ask the doc if your Mom can be with you… maybe that will help?

There are some bad docs out there… but there are also some good ones. You might just find a person who will open more doors. Would having a female doc help more then having a male doc? That is something you could request and would be in your control.

You can check ratings of docs on line too… get a feel for who your going to go see.

It not an easy situation and I totally get why your feeling so down about this one.

But I do hope you give the new doc a try. Good luck and I’m always hoping the best for you…

4 Likes

Good luck Meg. I`m glad your mom is going with you.
Hope you love your new doctor O

1 Like

you’ll be fine…remember these people are here to help you.
take care

try not to worry too much meg, it probably won’t be as bad as you think. just remember…they are there to serve you, not the other way around. if you don’t like them then simply switch to another. it’s really not that scary hunni. you pay their wages, it’s in their interests to keep you on side.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone,

I’ll ask if my nurse can be there with me, my mum is not comfortable being there at my age, she becomes unravelled and unsteady, it sends her back to when I wAs acute; I try not to put her through that, even though it sends me there too.

I trust my nurse; he’s been my rational head for a while now.

I think I will ask gemder first, my past is haunting me and I fear, having a male doc will unravel it, my past involves sexual issues, I need someone I can talk that over with, I fear I’ll scare my nurse away, but a doc has more power, I just hope they’re female.

I feel an idiot, this shouldn’t shake me but Ive had a lot of change,I’ve changed degree path, I’ve changed mentor, I’ve started college, now doctor, from a one I’ve really trusted to this. I think it’s the tip of the iceberg.

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate them. I hope that you don’t think I’m greedy. I do read them.

Take care,
Meg,

2 Likes

I don’t think your being greedy at all. You have had some big shake-ups in a short amount of time. Posting here is all about getting help, feed back, reassurance.

I think you have every right to be cautious abut a new doc…

I’m also proud of you for swallowing that fear and trying so many new things.

Good luck in all you do.

Thank you James, that means a lot, you’re so kind.

My nurse is thinking I need a med review as I’ve started experience thought broadcasting, so looks like I’ll be meeting them sooner rather than later.

It’s horrible, I feel like everyone knows my most intimate spaces of my mind. Even before I wasn’t so exposed. I feel physically ill. Now he said those two words I’m trying to say it to myself, we did challenging, I’m still getting it. I had to go to London yesterday with college, it took a lot of willpower to stay on top, I had a moment, well massive panic attack, as we went to art galleries, my tutor told me to go to a video installation, I walked in, It was pitch black and all there was was load if whispers. I thought she was telling me she knew. I felt very upset, had to go hide, took prn. This stress is taking its toll physically, so I think an increase will help. I just don’t want a complete change, that terrifies me, and the mere suggestion would make me fear him. It wouldn’t be a good start, I think in going to get my nurse to have a word or come with me.

Thank you for your kind reply, the forum reminds me of goodness,
Take care,
Meg.

i’m getting a new p/doc as well

dante 13…((((((((((((((( hugs ))))))))))))))) you’ll might be surprized…it might go very well

That sounds like a very good idea. That way you can have some one who knows you and can be a professional advocate on your behalf.

I’m sorry the thought broadcasting is hitting you again. It is one of the worst feelings in the world. I do hope this one fades away and lets you have some peace in your own mind.

Like always… I’m rooting for you.