How do i get my thoughts away from my illness

with school ive been very stressed out and my thoughts about my illness are starting to take over. my identity and thinking seems to revolve around the concept of having a psychotic break / repeating my psychiatric history to myself, etc. I’ve tried going to the gym and playing basketball.it just made me depressed because im out of shape. i can’t seem to get my mind off of myself and my illness. any suggestions?

Turn it to comic. Such a dark one that people find themselves lost and die out of laugh.

:purple_heart:

1 Like

Keep working towards the gym dude. Progress not perfection. Rome wasn’t built in one day. The more you go to the gym and play basketball the better you will feel. And LAUGH! Like @sarad said

6 Likes

I am guilty of this a lot. It’s hard. We spend so much time trying to stand up to discrimination, and bonding with each other over this one thing we have in common, and it’s bound to impact our self-image somewhat. Especially since you’re in a new environment surrounded by people who have no idea what you struggle with. That always makes me a little stressed out. What I do in those situations is find some people who I don’t think will be judgy, and start telling them a few of the funnier stories of my psychotic times. Usually something about my adventures in homelessness. Then I don’t feel like I have this huge dark secret I’m keeping from everyone.

That can be a risky path to take, though. I prefer doing it because I’m a talker, and a stereotype slayer. I feel like it is my duty to spread the image of us as well-adjusted, happy people who make good friends. But I also understand if you don’t feel comfortable divulging something so personal right away. Maybe it would help you to join a club that has nothing to do with mental health, so you have something to focus on that is totally unrelated. Basketball might not be fun right now, but if you keep up with it, it will get easier again.

I can relate to this a lot lately. I was just recently diagnosed but I’ve been suffering for a year and a half now. All I think about is my illness. Much of the time I am in denial that this is happening to me. I feel like this is the best it will get bc my medication has finally stopped the voices, but I am not happy. Here is to hoping for something better.

its quite ok to reflect back on it.

1 Like

I just also want to say that I also know that for many people, I know they have it worse than I do and that too breaks my heart.

1 Like

Maybe you could try reading, or watching movies. They’re a good distraction. Maybe if you really got into your studies it would help. Set a high goal for your grades, and work to achieve that.

1 Like

Thanks @Ninjastar (and everyone else) for the advice. I will keep going to the gym, and ill consider sharing some funny stories with people at school once i get to know them a little bit.

2 Likes