Hosptialss

The hospital never was that big a deal to me, until they started to try to force me to take a typical AP like Haldol. Whenever that happened I would ask for a hearing to see if I met the criteria for a forcible commitment. It didn’t stop them from giving me Haldol, but it did delay it, and it also probably made them a lot less likely to go that route in the future.

Other than that, the hospital just seemed like a dreary kind of place where I was marking time. I didn’t want to go to the hospital, but once I was there I made the best of it. One time a long time ago they had me there for a several month stay, and I used the time to work on a novel I was writing. They didn’t like that. A person isn’t supposed to enjoy his or her commitment. But they took me there and made me stay there, so I made the best of it.

1 Like

When you say you aren’t supposed to enjoy the hospital it reminded me of something. Every time I remember in the one behavioral ward, my room was freakishly hot. Except when I askef if they could change it, then they made it really cold. Also when they would do blood sugar, they sometimes had this outdated looking device and poked us by hand with a big pointy thing. Seriously, I’m not making this up.

1 Like

Feel so depressed sometimes, I have no control over my thoughts, sometimes I feel like its an emergency and that I have to go to the hospital but here is better than there.

I realize that I need to be in hospitals at times for health reasons, but I utterly hate it. I spent the last five days in a hospital - was discharged this afternoon. Had a bad diverticular disease flare-up with puke coming out the top end and blood out of the bottom.

I very carefully manage my home and work environments as much as I can to reduce irritations and distractions. This is not possible in a hospital.

Had a lonely senior next to me in the hospital who would NOT stop trying to engage me in conversation and then, when I remained silent, complained to staff that I was being rude and they had to order me to speak to him. The finally moved him out of our shared room this morning, but, too little, too late. Said fellow also had no bladder or bowel control. Nothing like the cloying stench of urine and feces when you’re sick to your stomach.

He also couldn’t sleep without the TV blaring and pissed and moaned when the staff made him turn it off so I could try and sleep. Which I couldn’t anyhow.

I hope that whoever invented the concept of a non-private hospital room is burning in hell right now.

1 Like

I must be an oddball. Because I tend to find the hospital a huge relief (depending on the quality of the hospital though).

Far worse. I in the regular hospital last year, and was open about my schizophrenia and once this nurse and 3 friends came to me and told me I was a burden on my family and the lead nurse was going to kill me.

Two things could have happened there, one I (which I hoped) that I hallucinated the incident. Or two the nurses where picking on me because of my illness and felt they could have gotten away with it because it was “my” word (the one who admitted to being schizophrenic against their word… stable nurses who had good history at the hospital.

Either way i’m terrified of going back to the (any) hospital…

@shutterbug

My mother has diverticulitis, and when she has a flare up she’s in a lot of pain. She can’t eat nuts, and has to eat a high-fiber diet.

It seems to be Murphy’s Law that when we go to the hospital there’s a guy next to us who just won’t shut up.

I’m glad you’re back and starting to feel better.

1 Like