Does it help to laugh at suicide?

I don’t mean laughing at someone who commits suicide. I mean if you are contemplating suicide does it help to laugh at it so that it takes the power out of it, like so many other things? Weigh in on the subject.

I guess it could help. it would probably have helped me when i attempted suicide a month ago but i was laughing hysterically after it didnt work.

Well, it’s good you didn’t succeed. Did the attempt strengthen your resolve to never try again?

I swallowed about 60 100 mg Elavil tablets, and 30 100 mg Secobarbital capsules in an attempt to kill myself. My first and only genuine true attempt. I was in a coma for 4 days. I woke up with a sore throat from the respirator and the psych nurse was there. As I cleared the fog, I volunteered to go into the hospital. I came VERY VERY f-ucking close. I don’t think there would have been any humor that could have been interjected prior to swallowing those pills. I’d say “no,” there’s no humor in it. About 2.5 years later, my father committed suicide by shotgun, and there was nothing funny or ironic about it. It’s a $hit sandwich that everyone takes a bite off. In my opinion, if you’ve never confronted suicide in the ways I have, there’s nothing funny in it. Just my opinion.

yeah it actually did help, but i still think about suicide a great deal always have since i was young

I Tried To Commit Suicide Three-ish Tymes ,

Point Is ,

If Someone Wants To , They Will ,

What Could Be A Solution To Such A Worry is Thus ,

GIVE SPACE (!) ,

TALK OPENLY FROM YOURSELF DO NAUGHT DEMAND THEM TO (!) ,

and Hold Tite To Privacy , Which Jus Means If They Are Begging For Orange Juice Then Talk About Why It Is You Don’t Want Them To have Orange Juice ,

TALK .

TALK .

TALK . ,

What These Individuals Are Lacking is Space and tha Feeling Of HOPE / LOVE / & / PEACE ,

Cause It Seems ,

Is That All They See ,

Is Everyone Elses Disease ,

and They Feel Lyke They Are Getting Blamed For It …

and Humor Always Helps …

You crossed my mind as I wrote this post. I was serious when I wrote it and I tried not to be offensive. I couldn’t imagine the horror of your own father committing suicide. I hope I am not being insensitive.

Sad :frowning: glad your still around

Thanks, i hope the strong desire to die wont come back again any time soon

Nah, @77nick77, I am not offended at all. Just a simple question. No biggie. Having the last sight of my father being without a head is very horrific and traumatic. I used to dream about doing fun things with my dad. I guess it’s my mind’s way of trying to heal and remember the good times. I sure do miss my dad though. Just the other day I cried wishing I could have my dad back because at that moment I really needed him. A distant uncle on my mother’s side committed suicide by hanging from a razor cord. My aunt is now pretty messed up, as are her two kids. Suicide is so tragic. It affects people on a magnitude of 10-fold. Ugh.

I’ve made one serious attempt and numerous half hearted attempts. For the serious attempt I took 4,500 mg of Trazadone. It had no effect on me. Apparently, I am immune to just about any amount of that drug, which is strange, because 50 mg of Trazadone puts some people into a deep sleep for twenty hours. One time I had the gas on in a room, and I was going out. There must have been some kind of safety device on the heater I was using, because suddenly the room cleared of gas. One time I had a car fired up in a garage, but the radiator hose broke. Sometimes I try to work up enough nerve to kill myself. I think I could do it with pills and booze. As for laughing about suicide, I don’t know. I can be philosophical about it, but I don’t think I can laugh at it.

I have a friend who if she wasn’t on meds. She’d happily dance laughing and screaming maniacally in the middle of a busy freeway. So maybe it would help for some but not all.

I was pretty depressed and so cut off from humor or feeling human that when I made my attempt… I had nothing to fight it with…

I’ve had to rely on my humor while healing and not getting back to that point…

But my initial attempt… I was flat and empty… I had no ability to laugh…

i try to find the humour in everything…so i don’t go mad !?! :smiley:
take care :alien:

1. Whuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut? Oh, Nooooooooo. Did they have to flood your guts with a fire hose? (Elavil is horribly anti-cholinergic. If I took one of them now, I’d have to drink 20 glasses of warm water to make my guts work again.)

2. BUT… 6000 mgs of Elavil would likely keep the 3000 mgs of (truly deadly) Seconal from finishing you off. (They work in total opposition to each other.)

3. Not surpised about the coma, though.

4. Just make sure you don’t ever try this with Tylenol acetaminophen. (It’s hard to think of anything else one can get their hands on so easily that is so deadly in large quantities… because it shreds the liver, but takes days or weeks to do it.)

5. I swallowed everything in the med cab twice… but knew enough to leave the Tylenol bottle alone… just in case.

I’m not sure what they did to me. They told me I was violently vomiting in the ER, and my stool was black for about 4 days from something they gave me.

Maybe charcoal.
Maybe not.

Reminds me of part of something someone (a normal person) told me once in regards to a friend’s suicide. It gets a bit religious so will only post the non religious stuff.

“The mentally ill DO NOT SHARE their torment with anyone. Suicide is always the result of enormous pain, confusion and hopelessness. In other words, not rational.”

• I know my attempts the last thing I’m thinking about is seeing the humour in anything. Other then sarcasm. Which is often very dark. Again a result of enormous pain, confusion and hopelessness. I rarely laugh anyway. Unless manic.