Do you care about your appearance?

As a fun add-on to my previous response, I literally wore my shirt backwards the entire day without noticing. And I did official science things today too and was with official people. It was a v-neck shirt. Sigh. I noticed it was on backwards in the morning and then just…forgot about it.

Sometimes it doesn’t pay to not be aware of your appearance!! :cry:

4 Likes

i get my haircut once a month, ill shower mostly everyday…if i dont its usually sunday, if i work out ill definitely shower. i shave every 2-3 days. i have clothes that i wear in the house, everyday clothes and going out clothes (mainly shirts and shoes). i wouldnt call myself high maitenance

2 Likes

It’s less that I don’t care about my appearance than I lack the motivation or ability to do anything much about it. I wear a very limited range of clothes consisting of black or dark blue trousers and blue,Navy blue, or purple t shirt and socks and underwear.
I am too socially anxious to go to the barber so am reliant on my stepdaughter cutting it when she visits or her taking me to her friends that is a hairdresser.

2 Likes

Compared to people I know I am pretty low maitenance. I shower everyday, but I only wash my hair once every two days. I have long wavy/curly fine hair that can get frizzy. When I was in college I’d use product and I’d apply special facial moisturizer. They don’t make that kind any more, so I use mineral hand lotion.

I cut my own hair, because most people don’t know how to properly cut curly hair. I know people who spend hundreds of dollars on dying and cutting their hair. I can’t do that at this point.

I don’t wear makeup, but this Spring I’m going to get a SPF 30 or greater lotion for my face. I will also wear more hats to protect my scalp.

I wear mostly jeans. I like boots, so I wear them a lot. I have some new sandals coming in the mail. I buy what I like, not what is in style.

2 Likes

I actually care about my appearances,do I look good or do I look dirty…now I dont take much notice if I look good or not but I take care of my appearance that could be change like my cloths,my hair and how smartly I look…

1 Like

Yeah I do , perception is important , I think

1 Like

I care too much

I just need to get rid of some weight

Started wearing make up a lot more often last year.

If I’m not too well i wear the wrong stuff, like mis matched stuff.

I know that if I can’t stop laughing about the clothes i just put on that i should re-evaluate and try a different combination

1 Like

I exercise, shower, wear nice clothes. But sometimes I still feel like a freak.

3 Likes

i’m a bit of a slob if the truth be told. if i don’t shower then i wash my hair and clean myself with wipes i shower yes but i’m not too good at changing my clothes regularly. i tend to sleep in my clothes for security reasons which may seem paranoid to you but believe me i have valid reasons. my teeth are ok and i get my nails done regularly.

1 Like

Times have changed. In the 1990s when I lived in America, I often wore a nice business suit, a tie and black shoes, but today I wear a German army jacket, a pair of 10 euro hiking shoes and blue jeans. I wash my feet regularly and check these because of my diabetes. I try to be clean. In winters I enjoy wearing my big black fur hat.

1 Like

I guess I’m sort of still sabotaging myself in this area. To make myself just not that interesting to the opposite sex mainly. Just don’t want to deal with the whole dating thing for awhile yet. I do shower, shave etc regularly. Just constantly wearing my invisible clothes I guess you call them. Just enough to just blend in and not likely to look at me twice.

Weight gain from the meds haven’t helped much with that though. Is also probably the only thing I am trying to take extra care off with my appearance. Defiantly not winning though.

1 Like

I care about my appearance, I think I’m the cleanest homeless guy in Des Moines. I have s gym membership so I take two showers a day.

1 Like

One of the best homeless shelters I have ever seen was in Phoenix, called Cass. It has everything, They have apartments, St Vincent de Paul, they offer church service and meals twice a day. They have a dinner place to eat, they give plenty of clothes, they have music, a center, jobs, medical center, it looks like a campus. It’s really amazing

2 Likes

I have one pair of pants that fit, 3 pairs of sweat pants, about 30 black shirt that are exactly the same, and a pair of flip-flops.

I brush my teeth if I know I’m going to have to do some talking (therapy and pdoc appointments). I shower usually at least once a week and shave/trim my beard once a month. Last time I cut my hair was 3 years ago so it’s way longer than the 1" that was used to, so I use hair gel to keep it out of my face. I figure I just have a very relaxed look. I try to fit in as much as possible to avoid being stared at.

1 Like

Thinking of it, I do things mechanically, like showering. I don’t go to the barbershop in years, I do it at home. As I am losing hair, sometimes I shave the head with a razor and other times just use the hair cutting machine.

I don’t have that many clothes. They are all old ones. Because I did some exercise, I have some new ones because I got a lot thinner last year and bought them due to it. Now the weight is all back on, due to medication mainly. I don’t eat that much.

I brush my teeth regularly but don’t feel good in my own skin with all this weight. I used to be slim and fit.

1 Like

I wear what I call my “uniform” ; Bostonian leather shoes, grey flannels, sports jacket. I think I’m still in prep school or at college. Shower, shave, brush teeth two times a day-all this de rigueur. Today people don’t care. Even lawyers discard suit jackets. People go to the pharmacy in their pajamas.

2 Likes

I care but I don’t put in too much effort. I shower and brush my teeth daily. I trim my beard short every second week with a clipper. I get my hair cut once a month at the barber. I have only enough clothes to last me for a week. I mainly wear short pants and short sleeve shirts. I’ve got no fancy clothes. I’m somewhat overweight and I’m really trying to loose weight but it is difficult with the diabetes and the meds. I take a walk every afternoon for about half an hour. I really do admire people that put in a lot of effort into their appearance.

1 Like

I usually shower every three days, unless I have to go out on the third day, then I will shower before I leave.
Around the house I wear sweat pants and some kind of shirt…Most of my shirts and some of my pants I bought at the Salvation Army —I don’t care about the latest trend in clothes…although I did buy a couple of scarves and learned how to tie them. I’m not the biggest size I’ve ever been but close. Too close for comfort. I am working on losing weight and have hopes that now that I am motivated I will soon lose weight.
I usually don’t wear makeup but sometimes just for the fun of it I do…I enjoy putting it on.but it’s a pain to have to take it off at night.

1 Like

I keep my hair really short so I don’t have to bother. I have the same cloths for ages. My mom buys me new cloths. I get new cloths for x-mas and birthday too. It’s more important to mom that I look representable. But when I’m in my down episodes I don’t cut my hair. I look horrible.

2 Likes

I’m also letting my beard grow, but I trim it.

1 Like