Can’t take Antidepressants

I desperately need to be on an Antidepressant because my OCD is off the charts!
It would also help give me some joy and motivation.

It’s just that I can’t take them because it would instantly make me manic.

Anyone else can’t take Antidepressants?

2 Likes

me I find. they exacerbate my fears and I have some strange waves on them… That’s why now we try the lithium.

2 Likes

Yes, lithium has strong Antidepressant properties.
It also helps with suicidal tendencies.

I still wonder if it will help me cause it can be negative symptoms what I have…
wasn’t you on it too wave?

Yeah I was on lithium for years.
It didn’t help me much though.
But I was less depressed.

Hello @Wave, I am Schizoaffective Bipolar type. My pdoc will only give me antidepressants as a last resort, and even then I have to be monitored closely. Antidepressants almost always launch me into a Manic or Mixed state. But I also suffer from a lot of negative symptoms from the schizophrenia part of my diagnosis. I can often get very depressed. When I last saw my pdoc I told her my negatives and depression were really bad and interfering with my day to day functioning. I begged her to put me on wellbutrin, but she still said no. But as a compromise she put me on a vitamin/medical food called L-meythlfolate. Apparently it helps trigger the production of neurotransmitters across the board. It isn’t an antidepressant and you can get it over the counter in the USA. It has helped. I am not necessarily happy but I am showering and shaving more frequently, it has also helped eliminate my sense of despair. In fact the best thing it did for me was help with anxiety, so maybe it could help with OCD? Might be worth talking to your pdoc about.

It has not made me manic, but then again I feel I should mention I am also on a high dose of Geodon and Haldol as well.

TL;DR: Pdoc wont give me antidepressants but suggested I try L-meythlfolate and it has helped with negatives, anxiety, and depression.

1 Like

ok, I see. Me for the moment its okay. I am still unhappy but it is calming. it lessened my bad physical symptoms. so check it again eventually,

My pdoc prescribed me L - Methylfolate once but I didn’t take it because I was afraid that it would make me manic.
Good to know that it worked for you @thatguy.
I may ask her about it again.

L-Methylfolate is only a form of folic acid and I can’t see it causing mania.

There is a chance but could be rare.

I’ve only once been on a stand alone AD. That was anafranil when first put on medication.

1 Like

I can’t take ADs for my OCD either. I do neurofeedback, and that keeps my symptoms mostly under control. I’ve been doing it for twelve years.

1 Like

I can’t take ADs alone, but I can take an AD alongside lithium, the lithium stops me from going manic but I still feel the benefits of the antidepressant, it’s a good combo for me.

1 Like

I also can’t take AD’s anymore apparently. When I was younger, I had some success with Zoloft, but after my doc put my on another antidepressant last week, I got really bad homicidal rage and a lot more hallucinations. So I’m off that now. Which is good. But also bad since I’m still depressed lol.

1 Like

Have you tried fluoxetine?

2 Likes

I take fluoxetine at 60mg. Is really helpful for me.

2 Likes

Im on cymbalta. I have sza depressive type though.

1 Like

I cant take AD makes me manic within a few days.

1 Like

Me. I can’t tolerate any Ssri(except paroxetine) and snri. They all make me psychotic. Paroxetine is working but I can’t take more than 37.5mg, above that I start crying

1 Like

Gone through a lot of SSRI’s and a Mao inhibitor but found effexor to be the business.

It’s not quite and ssri as it acts on nor ephiledrine ( spelling ) which is what wellbutrin reacts too. I can’t get wellbutrin over here because of the smoking bulldust…so I take effexor…

It’s worked well for me but I stopped it years ago and came back to have to take boatloads of it!

2 Likes