Can abilify cause anemia?

I got my physical done and most everything was normal but my iron levels. My levels deviated at least 33 units from the standard range. Apparently, I am anemic. Maybe that explains the tiredness.

However the tiredness started with the abilify. So, can these meds make us anemic?

My ferritin and iron levels were very low.

I was anemic during my first psychosis. then recovered and took pills with Abilify.

It doesn’t make sense.

Huh maybe I’m naturally anemic? I find it strange cause it all started with the abilify. Good thing there are supplements!

1 Like

yeah just eat well. are you vegan/vegetarian?

I remember I drank a lot of apple juice and made lentil soup.

Nope. I have a good friend who just made me drink a disgusting spinach concoction. Eww but full of iron she says.

2 Likes

I remember reading somewhere that spinach has more iron when cooked.

1 Like

ohh man! I used to be anemic. it was because of the depo shot though, I had a light period on and off daily for like 6 months, and it ■■■■■■ up my life for about 2 years.

Yeeesh sounds pretty unpleasant. I’m off to buy supplements that don’t tast like metallic craps…

1 Like

I used to be anemic because of periods. Not a problem anymore because of hysterectomia.

1 Like

Different med’s can affect people differently. I don’t think Abilify generally causes anemia, but it could be different in your case. At any rate, take an iron pill or eat liver, or spinage.

2 Likes

Im anemic.

Have been for quiet some time and last time i thought i would end up in hospital i felt as if the blood had been sucked/drawn out of me and exhausted.

I take supplements for it but it doesnt seem to help.
I also have a pretty good diet i think.

I think i have always been anemic even as child or specially then maybe.

1 Like

Sound like a good a reason as any to eat lots of delicious beef. Of course because of a previous post you may not want to because they pack on more pounds.

1 Like

Don’t take iron supplements without a doctor’s approval! Excessive iron consumption can lead to iron toxicity, which is life-threatening.

1 Like

This is true. I haven’t started them yet and am waiting for him to get back to me.

I’ll stick with the spinach :3

Hematologic

Neutropenia has been reported with the prolonged-release IM injection; it typically starts around day 16 and lasts a median of 18 days.[Ref]

Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Leukopenia, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, anemia

I used discountdrugnetwork.com/coupons/save-money-on-feosol/ with no problems. If you think your drugs does not suits you - i think it is better to visit new doctor)

Best thing for anemia is liver or blackstrap molasses.

If you’re anemic, you have to take supplements, but you need your doctor approval.