Zyprexa in the meantime?

Vraylar will be out by end of this year here but I can be on a better med in the meantime. Should I switch from Risperdal to Zyprexa? The reason is that I have severe negative symptoms and anger issues, I got banned on a computer forum and don’t want to get banned again anywhere. I don’t want to argue and fight with family either. I didn’t have these issues on Zyprexa back in 2016.

The change will require a psychiatrist swap as my current want doesn’t want to prescribe Zyprexa. I am not even sure if he’ll prescribe Vraylar when its out. He said he will but he seemed not sure, I had to argue a lot with him and threatening to change him, he might be lying.

2 Likes

I think you should take Zyprexa, but I’m not positive.

I think you should get a new pdoc, something doesn’t seem right about your psychiatrist.

2 Likes

I had an apt with my family Dr so he refers me to a new psychiatrist of his choice but I cancelled it after my current pdr said he’ll prescribe Vraylar. I don’t trust my current pdr anymore, he did help me but he’s not willing to help more, he gave up.

My parents are right. I should wait for Vraylar as it will be out soon, not worth it to change meds. If my pdr refuses Vraylar by then, my mother has already spoken with her best friend who spoke with her pdr cousin. I just have to go to my family Dr and tell him to refer me to her. She’s a pdr in the same clinic as my family Dr and my cousin is the receptionist in that clinic.

1 Like

I didn’t like risperdal but Zyprexa was good.

1 Like

I also liked Zyprexa more, I was on it from 2016 to 2018.

If your planning to change at the end of the year I wouldn’t change in the meantime. It’s a slow process swapping medications. It can’t be done instantly.

1 Like

You’re right, I will keep the Zyprexa in mind and switch to it only if I Vraylar doesn’t work somehow, either from side effects or if it doesn’t work for my positive symptoms.

2 Likes

Zyprexa is working for me. Keeps my symptoms at bay. But am struggling with drowsiness, no libido and gaining weight, plus I have been on it for too long. Over 10 years. Feeling gradual cognitive decline.

It does the job though. You could probably be on it for a few years.

I’m going to see doc tomorrow about changing from zyprexa to abilify. I have to act before it gets too late I feel. I have no expectations though. I’m almost going to assume that new meds wont work for me so I won’t get let down if I have to go back on zyprexa.

It’s good to have a fallback medication though. Plan B.

2 Likes

With Zyprexa, be prepared for weight gain. It’s a lot like Seroquel in that regard

1 Like

Yeah, I would just wait for Vraylar rather than switching back and forth between medications in such a short time frame. A few months isn’t that long to wait.

1 Like

I think you are right, about having cognitive decline. I think cognitive problems are easier to figure out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.