Your Computer Isn't Yours

4 Likes

Wow. Hot garbage.

Screw apple.

1 Like

I really didn’t need to know this. This freaks me out

2 Likes

Your digital footprint has no value to anyone else other than people trying to sell you crap

No one cares what the average person is doing online

3 Likes

Big data based on online activity has been used for much more dubious stuff than that.

1 Like

I can’t wait to go back to Linux. And why would anyone use Google having Duckduckgo available?

1 Like

I am sure it has, but not to the individual level.

There was quite an interesting Joe Rogan YouTube Podcast thing where he spoke about this stuff with Edward Snowden.

Was quite interesting.

It was a few hours long though!

1 Like

Of note: Intel CPUs were found to be running MINIX internally. Could still be the case.

It has been used to target people individually based on their behavior with content meant to skew public opinion on very important matters. This data can be used in the same way.

The problem is these idiots have a vote…

1 Like

They are also fed a steady stream of malicious misinformation tailored to them specifically and constructed to deceive them. It’s an enormous threat to any democracy, and the US is not the only one affected by it.

Unfortunately the average person has no time to effectively make decisions based on the evidence, as they’re too busy living their lives and trying to pay their bills.

I think political engagement is just a series of catchy soundbites and ■■■■■■■■ in the media and on the internet.

In the UK, I think people are wiser to what the political narrative is. All you have to do is look at the collection of daily newspapers in any store to see how stark the political bias is. People only seem interested these days in confirming their own narrow mindset.

My parents even fall into this category. They refuse to even discuss politics that are different to theirs. They’re heavily conservative. It was funny when once a friend of theirs came round years ago and they started arguing against his liberal ideology.

People seem too scared to challenge whatever they have learned - whether that be from their religious beliefs or how they grew up and what social status they have/had

4 Likes

Good reason to switch to pc, although microsoft could be doing similar stuff, there’s always linux.

2 Likes

Hey guys there something wrong with my apple. I tried to put my dongle in it and now its broke. I tried to boot it but then that just broke windows. :sob: :joy:

I’ve long disliked Apple. This seems typical of their corporate attitude. They people an expensive piece of hardware, and then still seem to insist on keeping control of that piece of hardware they sold. I think they should look up ‘sold’ in a dictionary.

1 Like

Because it has much better results and it anonymize your data before selling it.

I’m not that computer savvy but I do dislike google knowing so much about me, for instance through personalised search results, which I know lots of people like but I don’t. Duckduckgo does a great job 95% of the time but we all have different expectations I guess.

1 Like

I use duck duck go and a proxy server on my pc, even though I’m sure google tracks everything I type through Google keyboard lol.

2 Likes

Well…I find it strange that tracking and information gathering isn’t dealt with from the big corporations like microsoft and apple. It just appears like it has become a given. I mean, which consumer would tick yes to the box: “Do you want us to spy on you?” Yet spying has become a normal state of affairs. I’m not saying it’s some big conspiracy…but there is a lot of money in personalized ads and commercials amongst other things. I guess the green machine is the catalyst.

There a big investigation on amazon , google and I think microsoft right now

1 Like