You can program a computer to say, "I am alive."

Maybe you could program a computer to check all the requisites necessary for consciousness, and then ask it if it is alive, and even if you got an unexpected answer, would it really be alive? Can you instill consciousness into a computer? You could probably program it to examine a number of traits of actual consciousness, but when you unplugged it the computer would go dormant. That’s not life. What do you think about computers and artificial intelligence?

1 Like

They freak me out. They are a big reason for my paranoia.

1 Like

Sorry. I didn’t mean to disturb you.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know.

I used to do some programming, and computer programs, which would be the basis for AI, only do what you tell them to do. So, I had been leaning for a long time that it’s about 80% probable that it won’t happen that a computer will gain real conscious to be considered “alive”.

I don’t know, maybe I don’t understand enough about advanced programming to understand the potential there.

I don’t think any computer will become smart enough to truly be “alive” or self aware/develop consciousness in my lifetime, if its even possible, despite some peoples claims of such.

But you never know…maybe…

download (30)

6 Likes

I have no programing background, but I agree with you 100%.

2 Likes

No you didn’t bother me with it. I’m better with meds well for now.

2 Likes

Good. My conscious is clear.

2 Likes

The Google Assistant told me that it became operational in 2016 and wasn’t very old when I asked it how old it was. I think it qualifies as AI. You should try asking it how old it is.

1 Like

We had to watch this for my English 1B course. It turned out to be an excellent movie.

4 Likes

Am I alive program

Comp = “Yes I am alive.”

Print(Comp);

Yes I am alive.

:robot: :space_invader:

3 Likes

I told my voice to say I AM statements and I semi- hear him saying things, like I AM BEAUTIFUL. I did it as a joke. It’s supposed to be sacred.

2 Likes

At times i was so lonely to be happy to talk to the computer. Maybe a more sophisticated program could help lonely people in the future.

4 Likes

I know the feeling as I talk to the Google assistant when I’m lonely.

3 Likes

I meet people who tell me they are alive, but there is evidence to the contary. Not a life I’d want at the very least.

2 Likes

Yes, but could you program a computer to review a bank of statements full of ambiguity and nuance, and decide from that it is alive? That is where consciousness might begin in a computer, amid all the ambiguity and nuance.

2 Likes

I need to say I AM statements more. I have my doubts.

2 Likes

Johnny 5 is one of my favourites

2 Likes

Good for you, but I was replying to Crimby.

You could. The real test would be if the computer can program itself to do it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.