Yes! A Great Anti Cancer side-effect to AP's

Great to finally read of a POSITIVE side effect to anti psychotic meds - its ANTI CANCER effects ! So its not just keeping us sane but helping prevent cancer .

"Dopamine Receptor D2 (DRD2) is overexpressed by several types of human cancer and its inhibition is associated with anti-cancer activity. This is documented by studies describing: 1) elevated DRD2 expression in
malignant cells compared with normal cells; 2) preclinical studies
documenting the antitumor effects of antagonizing DRD2 signaling; and 3)
observed associations of cancer incidence with other diseases that
affect dopamine receptor signaling.

8 Likes

Good news indeed!!

3 Likes

I’ve heard they give olanzapine to people with cancer quite often

3 Likes

Everybody might be on AP’s in the future as a cancer prophylactic (preventative).

2 Likes

Am I allowed a crazy thought ? …

If anti psychotics are useful for people with Cancer I wonder if any oncology medications could be useful for sz? …:):thinking:

Obviously time to hit the sack ! :slight_smile:

I heard about this. Hoping I don’t get lung cancer.

2 Likes

They’re actually trying this.

It’s pretty wild.

2 Likes

It’s Siltuximab.

On the clinicaltrials.gov site.

1 Like

It might be something that saves me someday. My aunt died recently due to cancer, it was sudden, unexpected, and frightening. Still don’t know what to think about it. She was a lifelong smoker, just like me.

2 Likes

Wow. Respect! Nice Find!

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your Aunt. Its hard dealing with death specially of people close to you. We go through live focusing on our little problems or big problems) and try to keep out of our minds the specter of death. Its the big one and very hard to cope with , realizing that someone who was always there will never be there anymore. I lost an very very dear Uncle last year and I really cant deal with it at all. My brother died some years ago but I was quite delusional at the time and was convinced he was faking it- so I never went to the funeral coz I thought i would try and shake him awake or something. Death is just this supreme confusion to deal with and I share your pain.
The good news is that in my reading today there have been some studies that showed even though people with sz had greater risk factors - ie smoked more they had some type of body protective effect both from the AP’s and from the genes associated with sz. (there were other studies that refuted this however)

Saying that I would however strongly advise on weaning off and maybe trying e-cigarette? Here’s a clinical trial on e-Cigs and Sz that may be an idea to contact or follow. Goodluck. (NB if you want to wean off cigs let me know there could be other interventions )

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03075202?recrs=abdf&cond=Schizophrenia&draw=4&rank=49

1 Like

@insidemind Lung Cancer is the number one cancer for males some 22% as compared to Breast cancer which is under 10% for females. I think the rates for men are coming down as less men smoke (unfortunately they are rising for woman who seem to taking up smoking - but still no way near the rates for men at the moment)
As I mentioned to @eighteyedspy23 below the situation for people with sz on AP’s is slightly more reassuring however a good idea to minimize your risk and get healthy also but weaning off Smoking and possibly taking up e-cigs as in the clinical trial posted below.
Let me know if you want to stop smoking and maybe we can advise of a bunch of herbs/ vitamins /patchs etc to help so you still get the good feelings that you would get with the smoking but not the cancer causing tar and additives. Cheers

3 Likes

Thanks @unadventures.

1 Like