Would you take the risk?

I’ve lived with my folks for 15 years now. Love my parents-- they keep me sober and accountable, help me with work related stress and are good to be around. I’ve been looking for my own place for about six months now and think I’ve found a place. It’s about 15 miles (25km) from my parent’s house… I’d ideally like to be closer but not a big issue. The risk stems around my sobriety. With the independence, I may fall back into using. This scares me! I may lose my housing, my job, my sanity. I got clean (from mj) two months ago and I’ve had periods of sobriety of a few weeks up to a year. Question is would you move knowing you may risk it all?

I will move when I eventually get public housing from the government. Until then I will continue living with my father. I am 25.

2 Likes

Yeah. Substances used to be a problem in my life in a couple of periods but they don’t rule me any longer. Yeah I like a decent beer but I’m a learning.

It’s worth it but your already thinking scenarios of use. That is the problem! I know it’s hard. Gawd. Everytime I am near a smoker at the cricket club I’m thinking gawd. A cig would be really nice now but I know it’s no good for me and I am not going back there. I know with friends who smoke weed or drink excessively…I’m not going back there.

If you move. You need to be in the mind set. I’m not going back there!

2 Likes

It depends. Do you feel strong in your sobriety? If you feel strong it would be good to stretch yourself and put your new lifestyle to the test. If you feel vulnerable you may have to wait awhile. Follow you gut.

1 Like

I used to be an addict.

I was clean for 5 years before my first relapse.

Afterwards I felt so bad about it I have not touched drugs since.

I think if you were to have a relapse, you may find that the reasons you stopped may become clearer as it’s no way to live.

3 Likes

Two months isnt a lot. Don’t make any brass decisions in the first year they say. I’d revisit this thought AT LEAST after 6 months :wink:

1 Like

I do feel vulnerable. I still have cravings that go away after some self-will/ discipline. my parents keep me accountable, not sure if I’m on my own. My gut says go for it but my inner ear says be cautious.

every time I get sober, I always tell myself that I’m through with mj. it stays for a month or two then I start to get cravings. I don’t have great resolve or discipline, sometimes I fall back into using. Believe me, any sane and rational mind would never touch the drug again after what I’ve been through. It’s perplexing… but good on you or staying clean.

I’ll take it into consideration, thanks.

Any sane and rational mind would say I’m not going back there. But I have a defective one and mj seems to be an ongoing battle despite the insanity it has caused. Two months isn’t a long time, perhaps I should get some more time before venturing out.

Nice to see you again, rogueone, I’ve been busy recently but good to see you on the site.

1 Like

never again.

long story short, I moved out at 17. eventually (in TWO different places) ended up using the ‘hard’ stuff. two of the worst mind altering substances that exist.

I always had to be more ‘hardcore’ than the next guy, an ego trip. I never got addicted to the stuff, but i would use it if it meant i would get respect.

crazy.

1 Like

First ill say everyone is different, and that goes without saying but its important to keep in mind.

Im 21 and i just moved 5000 km away from everyone i know. I dint even have a cushion to rest on. I have so much debt i basically have no option but to succeed. Im not going back to where i was. No way. My family is a joke. Thats a horrible thing to say, but honestly it’s true and they treated me like human trash so i had no option but to leave. For me its been freeing. I feel like my own man now. Im not under their thumb. And im actually grateful i have a crappy family, without the daily dose of reminders that im garbage i would never have left them and that stupid red neck province. Rant over.

If you have a good family/support system i can see why you wouldnt want to leave. But, no risk no reward as they say (cliche but its completely true). Idk.

2 Likes

you’re right, everyone and every situation is different. sorry to hear of the non-supportive fam, but glad you’ve found something else somewhere else. one of my delusions was to move far from home. I tried a couple times and had to have family bail me out (not out of jail, but picking me up hundreds of miles from home). i’m fairly open when it comes to living, I don’t have outlandish expectations of family or other people. That said, I would like to start fresh somewhere else, I know at 21 that would’ve be an impossibility. at 40 its completely doable. if not for the sobriety thing, I would’ve been out years ago.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.