Would you rather?

work part time and still receive disability and make about $20,000? or give up your disability work full time and make $30-40,000?

im not sure, part of me thinks I could go back to work full time and make more money, but if I choose part time work, I will have more time and energy for hobbies, home chores, and healthy lifestyles.

I don’t know what Im going to do yet.

1 Like

Part time with disability myself. But I cant work full time.

2 Likes

I’d rather be able to work. Period. Disability was not my plan. I had a good job and if my arms were broken I would type with my toes. That was my plan.

1 Like

When my daughter was in elementary she’s catch the bus at 8. I’d be at the gym 830. Work out till 9. Shower and dress work from 10-6.

2 Likes

that’s a busy day. so you have too much time on your hands now?

I guess I’d rather stay on disability. I probably need that safety net.

1 Like

Sorta. I’ve always worked b4 I became ill. Even as a teenager I’ve worked. When my daughter was a baby I worked two jobs to make ends meet.

1 Like

The thing is I can’t even handle the stress of the commitment of a volunteer job so for me it’s an easy answer. I can’t work right now. If I could handle the stress I would much rather make the $40,000 but that’s not in the cards.

2 Likes

It’s not even about making a lot of money. It’s about being able to take care of your family and being privileged to contribute to society.

1 Like

well yeah, but I don’t really share that view. I feel workers are taken advantage of. at least that’s how I felt when I worked. I would like to have a union job where I have representation. a lot of these companies will replace you in a heartbeat. show up to work everyday, try to do a good job, and they still let you go, when there is a downturn in the market. it’s happened to me twice.

1 Like

That’s awful. I had a union job. Nothing like it. But the reason I own my home is bc of that job. And I was able to help many charities bc of it. Which when I had the money I was big into charity.

1 Like

I am on ODSP. Ontario disability support program. It’s in Canada. I think if I work part time they will review me more. And I am afraid of them giving me more hours once I get into the job. I want to work but I am afraid to lose my disability. When my aunt went back to work she lost hers and wasn’t able to get back on. I think I will just stay on mine, too much of a risk to take. My doctor reduced my meds so I don’t know how he will fill out my forms when my next review comes along. If I get kicked off disability then I will work. But for now I am just going to enjoy the free time.

1 Like

Definitely the ft position. As long as I’m not feeling vulnerable. So I’ve got coping mechanisms in place and my negative symptoms aren’t strong enough to deter me…
40000 is gd money to me :smiley:

1 Like

yeah most warehouse jobs around here are paying $15-18 dollars a hour, starting wage, about 50 hours a week. you get time and a half for overtime pay, anything over 40 hours. so 10 hours a week making $22.50. so that comes to $41,000 dollars a year, with 2 weeks of paid vacation leave. I’ve worked in warehouses lots, in the past, but was only making $13/hr. wages have gone up since I’ve been on disability. the most money I ever made in a calendar year was $35,000 loading trucks at a grocery distribution warehouse.

1 Like

50 hours per week… That’s a lot… In UK normal ft hours is 37.5 per week

But if u feel comfortable to do it then why not

1 Like

yeah I once had a Kenyan friend at work, and he told me that people around the world don’t realize how many hours of work a lot of americans put in, in a given week.

2 Likes

Umm work. But I cannot. I have no motivation and I’m not consistent. I get lost in my head.

3 Likes

I guess im just concerned i’ll get worn out after a year. warehouse work gets boring, but I think I could handle it. although I have no desire to drive a fork lift and don’t think I have the motor skills to navigate one of those things in tight spaces.

I may have to take a dishwasher job first, as I re-establish a work history. I haven’t worked in 5 years. which would pay less. I will probably try part time first, and hope to graduate to a more lucrative job working full time in a couple years if I don’t have a flare up of symptoms.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.