Would you rather have a house or a college degree?

i think i would rather have a house. i may still go to 2 year school, but right now, all my money is going to saving for a house.

what about you?

5 Likes

Depends on your age and if you can live somewhere like your parents.

3 Likes

The right knowledge is priceless.

But in this brain foggy state, I’d go for the house probably. Just rent it out for some easy cashflow.

2 Likes

Well I dont think I could cope with the responsibility of a house and I like the idea of studying hard, exploring a field of study and using it in life. So college degree it is!!!

2 Likes

Um, probably a house in my case. I had 3 years of college (5 classes short of graduating in a semi-useless degree in math), and I rather have money or a house to live in or rent out because I rather have a roof over my head than have a piece of paper and be homeless. I think most people would choose a house unless one is very young and naive.

At my age, I think a house would be perfect. I don’t need a huge house. Just something nice like a 2-3 bedroom house. I could live in it or rent it out and still collect my disability. You’re allowed to own one house on disability, but I don’t know how one could even afford to keep it up and keep the lights on…

I think if I could get a re-do in life and had the knowledge of my past mistakes and could see the future, I would have tried doing a degree in computer science, engineering, or business like accounting/finance. I don’t even think I am even that smart. I think it’s 50% delusion on my part that I even tried going to college. My IQ is probably 105-110 and I thought it was a lot higher due to grandiose and competition and arrogance.

It also depends on the school. School is expensive. While I would have loved to try and have been in the military, it’s probably a billion times better that I never did it. With the whole schizophrenia thing being a black swan and ■■■■ and all the possible bad outcomes, I’m glad I never did it and I’m probably better off being poor and not getting more government benefits…imo.

I should have never listened to my step-father. I have autism or something called Aspergers…I should have followed my grandfather’s footsteps and been an electrician or owned a small electrical company. Electrical engineering is hard and something I may never have been able to do or want to do.

My step-father is extremely smart but I kept thinking the electrician field is pretty simple and for people that don’t want to think or know the theory behind electricity…that’s what he said. He’s an electrical engineer. I don’t care anymore.

I would have been better off being an electrician because of the pay and the benefits and the work history. I just think electricity is dangerous and being schizophrenic might be a bad thing. Luckily, I have good attention to detail and have OCD.

Anyways school is extremely expensive, risky, and I don’t want to take the risk at my age right now or ever. I’m like 30 years old now. Everything is online which is good or bad depending on the situation and person.

I don’t want to get Fs or Ds and fail and spend and owe a ton of money. And for what? A house would be an asset and could provide me a nice income.

3 Likes

A house for sure.

2 Likes

Definitely a house. A college degree can take you far, but not all the time. I still value higher education, and I want to finish a bachelor’s degree before my GI bill expires.

But a house is definite shelter and security.

1 Like

That’s easy a house.

1 Like

No brainer for me. A house.

1 Like

Hmm.

Get a College Degree, A Nice Job, And Then a House?.. . … :frog:

3 Likes

With the better job a degree can give you, you can buy a nice house.

2 Likes

Nothing Wrong With a Modest House.

Jus Seems Like a Strange Topic. Question.

1 Like

Easily a house. I mean, getting a degree is a step towards getting a house, so you’d just be skipping to the reward part.

1 Like

I would rather have a house.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Save the money for a house and get a student loan. That is what I am doing anyway, I am going to give my parents the money from my mortgage and I will get it back after uni. I think it would be a bit different if I lived in America like you @Lifer. You guys have a notoriously bad system.

1 Like

IDK. It depends. Does it have a jacuzzi and allow pets?

1 Like

I would definitely rather have a house. I sold my house. It was the worst mistake of my life. I had no idea, at the time, how much other people could bother you, in an apartment.

2 Likes

Luckily I have already completed a bachelor of nursing science, so my goal now is getting a house. Which isn’t too far away.

2 Likes

Thank you…

2 Likes

A college degree is still a club card, but not nearly as much as it used to be. I know a woman who graduated with a psychology degree from a state university. Most people think you won’t make much money like that. But she got into banking and finance, and by coming early and staying late she worked her way up. Now she is an executive in charge of a whole region of the country. She drives a Porsche. She earned it.

4 Likes