Would you rather be happy or deep?

never underestimate a childs words, i remember at a camp when i was a councelor i asked a 7 year old to close his eyes and ask if god had anything to tell him,

he has a funny expression on his face, then says god told me to love my brother.

cuz they were fighting for the past couple days.

:blush:

2 Likes

You couldnā€™t have developed a deep personality without having been happy for a while, you learn to be deep by experiencing what makes you happy and translating it to words and gestures for other people to come and follow your trails.

1 Like

They could be thankful the sun is shining, or that there are soup kitchens and shelters, or the dollar a person just gave them. Or you can be thankful for what you donā€™t have; blindness, sickness, paralysis. Thereā€™s always something you just have to change your perspective. :sun_with_face:

I think there is a lot to be said for keeping those around you as happy as possible. Worrying if you are happy yourself often leads to self-fulfilling depression. I usually just hope I can manage my small responsibilities and still have some fun now and then. Some people work hard and play hard and thatā€™s great, but I canā€™t be like them and maintain my health.

Also found this in my old filesā€¦

I think Caroline was right about life not being worth living when you are homeless? misery and then death and hopefully Heaven. hope. for me anywaysā€¦if I was homeless.

1 Like

my grandmother used to say ā€œpeople are only as happy as they want to beā€.

And now for a corny songā€¦

1 Like

I try to monitor my thoughts to keep them from getting too dark, because my cousin and my great grandfather lost their lives to suicide. I just donā€™t want to take that risk. I try to go deep with philosophy and art, not negative stuff.

I get there, but I try to guide myself out before it gets me down. Iā€™m not always happy, just level.

I donā€™t think happiness changes your personality much. I think it is what the person has when they start. Some personality disorders sour things.

2 Likes

@metime I am so sorry to hear of your losses. that must be really tough I would think. I live with shame and guilt from my attempts and I pray daily that God will forgive me for that.

2 Likes

Thank you. I bet He does forgive us for our attempts.

2 Likes

**I think acceptance is what were really striving for....with that comes happiness, peace, and contentment. For all the horrors in the world---we cant have all the answers-but we can try to do our best to change things.

3 Likes

I really enjoy how kids just say what is in their head.

Adults have to be polite and not offendā€¦ Keep up appearancesā€¦

Kids can just ask the questions that everyone else is thinkingā€¦ or just say it how they see it.

I love being an Uncle.

2 Likes

That certainly appliesā€¦in fact without being deep i donā€™t think I would be happy.
that is if we are understanding deep to be intense, searching out ā€˜deepā€™ things, knowing deep thingsā€¦even looking deep into simple thingsā€¦
Deep being the opposite of superficial - people who donā€™t see beyond what they see in a strictly materialist and literal sense.

A line from a song I did in 1999ā€¦

ā€œWhat do you see when you look at your world?
I think you see superficially,
Well, try to see deepā€¦ā€

2 Likes