Would you donate a kidney?

I would not donate a kidney. I think beause of the psychiatric meds I need both.

2 Likes

it depends on who needs it…if a family member needed it I probably would.

4 Likes

I have thought about this recently, I would to give someone life.

I definitely would, especially to a family member. I’m also an organ donor if something happens to me and I’m not expected to live. They can take my liver, kidneys, corneas…whatever someone else can use.

1 Like

I have bad kidneys, will likely need a transplant myself in the future, as they believe im developing chronic kidney disease. But if i had a chance to donate something else to a family member, i would do it. Bone marrow for example.

1 Like

I am reminded of the phantom illness concept where organ receivers get the conditions of the donator i.e. people develop aspects of the personality of the donator.

Not sure how scientific it is, but mental illness was one of the symptoms beleived to be spread or suicidal ideation was one example.

Can An Organ Transplant Change A Recipient’s Personality? Cell Memory Theory Affirms ‘Yes’ (medicaldaily.com)

1 Like

Only if i can cook it with fava beans.

3 Likes

And a nice Chianti

3 Likes

Does it have to be my kidney or can I donate a third party’s?

2 Likes

I would donate.

2 Likes

No, seriously - if it was one of my triplet brothers, or my little dumpling i would not hesitate.

3 Likes

Kidney disease runs in my family so I would not. Especially with all the meds I take. That’s how my Grandma passed away. She had to get dialysis.

1 Like

Tried, was under 18, so they wouldn’t take me.

Diabetic aunt on dialysis.

I wouldn’t even think twice.

Fun fact, the remaining kidney of the donor can grow to twice its normal size, in order to compensate.

1 Like

Yeah that was something I always wondered if it had some truth to it. There was even a movie done about it.

2 Likes

What about the oppoiste then? Whose and what organ would you like to have?

:smiley:

2 Likes

No, because meds (mostly Lithium Carbonate) are already lowering my GFR (kidney function). I also have type 1 diabetes, diagnosed at age 10. I am scared that my kidneys will fail, someday. I’m trying hard to keep them functioning.

2 Likes

That’s hard because I can’t think of anybody ‘‘sane’’ that I would like to get traits from. Who would you pick?

2 Likes

No one.

Comparison and desire to be some one else is just escape from oneself.

2 Likes

I would donate for my mom.

2 Likes

I’m already an organ donor, so if they can pry something useful out of my battered carcass they’re welcome to it. Not while I’m alive though, thanks.

2 Likes