Would you destroy the universe if you had the means to do so?

Perhaps, but it’d be nice if you explained a little your reasoning here. Also, I don’t see how previous discussions on simulation in works of fiction should prevent us from having a fun little discussion of our own. Maybe I’m misunderstanding you. Perhaps I should clarify that my point in the text you quote is about exploring the extent to which our ontological commitments are hardwired (obviously to a very strong extent). But the question needs to be asked, what would change if we gained that kind of information about ourselves? I fail to see how that’s silly, but maybe I’m being silly here as well. :slight_smile:

Love it!..

I think the universe could be destroyed or at least planet earth. I’m sort of mixed. I don’t think it’s worth saving, but I also don’t think it should be destroyed. Some people are evil and want to see the world end. There’s real religious cults out there that want to see the world end and wait for it.

If the universe is a simulation, yes, it could be destroyed or rebooted by the ‘simulators’. Planet Earth is already the Iraq of the galaxy and there’s so much evil and ■■■■ going on here.

I often felt like Serac from “Westworld” in that I tried to help humanity (that humanity is a bigger threat herself than AI) and I should have never took that job and I should have let all you guys perish.

I’d have fun and see what’s out there.

If this world would be a simulation, you’d not even get a chance to destroy it.

Very true.,

I wonder how many NPCs are in this thread lol.

1 Like

Hey, you native english speakers should not use letters like NPCs as we can’t know your all, so what does it mean?

I shudder to think that anyone would possess such Powers. But given them, no I would not destroy the universe. For all its apparent flaws, the universe is a wondrous and beautiful place.

Now, given the option to destroy schizophrenia for all… Which button do I push?

1 Like

it means non-player character

2 Likes

Ok, but what does the “non-player character” mean then?

1 Like

Like a bot or AI someone without a soul or consciousness. Just typing a way like a philosophical zombie, I guess. It’s sort of an insult but has relevance to a simulated reality.

1 Like

Ok. My own conclusion over the years is that un-Sz’s are more of the robots because nothing really challenges their minds in the same way though.

3 Likes

I would just destroy 99% of it.
I would live on what’s left with just me and some Hooter girls.

Destroying the universe… But why??

You won’t have to. It’s coming anyway in the contraction. But if you want to hear something unnerving, Betelgeuse is now fainter than ever before, and it has been waxing and waning in brightness since it’s discovery. It’s probable that it’s going to go supernova, which will wipe away the Ozone Layer and leave us unprotected from the sun’s radiation.

Also, if a mass coronal ejection occurs that is large enough (similar in size to the one in 1859), our satellites, power grids, anything electronic will cease to function. Anything that runs on electricity will be cooked. Cars, banking systems, the internet, police dispatch, all gone, and no one will know what happened. Thus begins the 6-weeks to extinction dilemma.

Cheery eh?

1 Like

I just destroyed the upstairs washroom.

:poop:

1 Like

I had this same scenario with the voices a d or turned that I said no to destroying the universe.

No why would I?

1 Like

The universe is but a giant coffin. I want out.