Would you come off medication

Not only that, it also damages life like friends, relationships, family, etc

1 Like

Thats what happened to me.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Azizā€¦

1 Like

Once I snapped out of my delusions I came back to feeling completely normal.

My doctor is slowly stopping my AP because I developed TD, and because I have been stable with no symptoms for over 3 years, he wants to see how I do without it before agreeing to switch me to something new.

If you do decide to stop them, go VERY slowly. The withdrawal alone can be brutal enough to cause a relapse. I am reducing very slowly by using the liquid form of my medication. I started at 80 mg, now I am on 30 mg and still doing well. I reduce by about 2.5 mg per month. I am also being monitored VERY closely by my doctor and my partner.

I am also not going without any medication at all. I am taking other behavioral meds.

2 Likes

Not sure if Iā€™ve posted. But I probably wonā€™t ever stop with medication either. I canā€™t run the risk of relapse.

Itā€™s too costly.

Since last time I spent nearly a year in hospital no I would not ever again

How many times have you tried coming off of medication?

Iā€™m thinking just one more try

I Only tried that time seriously but it was after 2 prior relapses
I heard a few people get better when they are about 30

This was not me I spent 3 years unwell and had 2 section 6
(6 months) one of those was cut short one renewed

Non compliance is A killer

Iā€™m 15 years since last hospital stay 46 years old
Iā€™m compliant
My life is without job or studying these days but I met my husband 14 years ago

Relapse with no meds is not an option

Believe the doctors if they tell you that you have schizophrenia or schizoaffective
Itā€™s generally life long and the worst mental health diagnosis you can have
Take it seriously

1 Like

When I was in my twenties I believed that I would have a harder time when I became thirty or when I got older. Now Iā€™m in my thirties and I really do feel that shift. My emotions are different. I feel more mature.

So Iā€™m thirty-two now. I think the Prozac is what started all this. I was fine taking pills before I started Prozac. Now I feel great, and I donā€™t want to take pills?

Iā€™m not sure if willpower is a factor or not. it may be the worst part of it all. You can be a strong-willed person with plenty of insight, but it wonā€™t fix you.

They donā€™t medicate people with Autism like they do with Schizophrenia do they? Because Autism is a lot similar, but more observable. You canā€™t cure Autism with a pill and you donā€™t always medicate Autism.

Autism and schizophrenia are two completely different things I have both
Some have one
some have the other

1 Like

I know they are different, But you can be born with Schizophrenia too right? So its similar in that its not neurotypical. There are some studies that people with Schizophrenia have different brain structures? Isnā€™t that true of Autism? Also, people with schizophrenia have trouble with communicating emotions or they call it ā€œaffectā€ but people with autism also have something like that, where they donā€™t communicate or express emotions the same way. People with schizophrenia often have high functioning skills in certain spec. areas, like math, logic, science, art. Not everyone with Autism has a photographic genius memory just like not everyone with Schizophrenia is good at physics or abstract math, but Iā€™m just pointing out that they are both non-neurotypical and they both have strengths too.

I dont think schizophrenia can always be demonized as something without strengths and gifts as wellā€¦and Iā€™m not sure why we always have to medicate someone with schizophrenia, because there are people who feel it takes away their gifts sometimes. Iā€™m not even on that high dose of a medication, so why does it have to be so black/white. If I can live a normal functional life without treating the ā€œchemical imbalanceā€ why isnā€™t Autism called a ā€œchemical balanceā€ā€¦

How exactly is it different that a person with Autism gets to call it something else, but someone with schizophrenia has to call it a chemical imbalance. Arenā€™t they both genetic and arenā€™t we born with them, and neither can be reversed or cured.

I only came off my meds for 6 months, when i was homeless living in brighton - cos i had no referral to the CMHT. I then was basically bonkers in relapse for 3 months after, whilst i was waiting to me seen.

In a way it was a blessing the shrink saw me psychotic and in relapse - cos i was finally taken seriously and the dreaded EUPD dx got questioned.

I managed to stay out of hospital tho, and slept for a week whilst they weaned me onto risperadone. Christ - it was like having the flu when i first went on it.

Will never come off the meds. Lightbulbs went on as soon as i was stable - its like i got my intelligence back.

1 Like

Youā€™re making out that the similarities are because itā€™s the same,
all these things inventionare so severely different in the case of autism or schizophrenia.
Autism is like dyslexia or right-handedness
Schizophrenia is like needing A pacemaker for the rest of your life i.e. medication

Autism is a misunderstood illness just like schizophrenia. Forgive me for the parallels. Itā€™s especially difficult for women with high functioning Autism. My therapist said I met the criteria for Aspergers but said she wouldnā€™t diagnose me with it because the Aspergers didnā€™t ā€œlimit or impairā€ my functioning in society.

IDK. I think that docs are being people pleasers sometimes and take people off their meds because they know thatā€™s what patients want and it makes the patient happy. It may be conjecture but I also think that docs donā€™t like having to tell younger people they will most likely need medication for life. I think docs canā€™t (or donā€™t want to) accept that clients need medication for life.

I recently went down from 80 mg latuda to 40 mg and felt start of psychosis so quickly went back up to 80 mg.

I would dare come if medication if I was stable enough lowering dose etc but Iā€™m not.yet.

I donā€™t want to go to hospital again.

Like said I havenā€™t got it to go through another episode I reckon.
So scary n overwhelming etc

If you are stable on lowereddose ā€¦
Then ok.

I have previously come off medication and was without medication for a few years before I went psychotic again.

2 Likes