Would you be comfortable if all psychiatrist offices dug deeper?

I mean say they really dug into your issues. Like, offered complete psycological overviews, life, lifestyle evaluation, advice, classes maybe, all kinds of things. Real personal level evaluation, choice and assistance. Or maybe just an alternative to pills, other pills, or more pills.

1 Like

There is nothing else that has antipsychotic properties. Unless you can enlighten me.

1 Like

I dont agree with what you say whatsoever. Improving lifestyle has many times better results on a person than pills.

1 Like

So you’re saying “improving lifestyle” would stop me slipping into a dream world and killing myself as I’m prone to do off meds?

1 Like

If the meds are all you want i wont stop you. Oh, and yes improving lifestyle works wonders for nearly all humans.

1 Like

No, i hate meds ! You’ve convinced me.

I’ll come off meds and “improve my lifestyle” instead.

The only problem is I might kill myself.

2 Likes

Well then obviously dont go off them in your case. In my case the killing self was due to meds.

1 Like

Meds alone are the only reason I’m not still in a state hospital right now. Therapy doesn’t work when you’re so psychotic that you think you’re a demigod and that sacrificing yourself will save the world. Sure therapy can help once you’re stabilized but there’s nothing other than medication that will stabilize someone who is psychotic

2 Likes

The med practice must work for some. Are you planning to take them for life? Because some doctors say they are for life. I disagree with what you said too, since its possible the right person can talk someone down or other methods have worked for me.

1 Like

Off meds I would have probably physically attacked the therapist and got in trouble with the police. Thats what happens when someone disagrees with my delusions when I am off meds. I attacked my family physically while off meds. This never happened while on meds.

2 Likes

If therapy really treated sz without meds no one would use meds and Drs wouldnt prescribe them.

2 Likes

Well anyhow theres more could be talked about and many opinions in this world, but im not here to set anybody off who prefers meds. I believe in choice is all.

2 Likes

I think there is a limit to how well one’s mind is. If someone is so deep in psychosis you can’t bring him back to reality with just talking, it needs something stronger to bring him back to reality, meds.

1 Like

I would really like it if there were more of those resources. My clinic offers some of the things you talk about, besides meds. I find that there’s a nice balance between meds and lifestyle advice from my clinic. Nothing wrong with a little bit of meds, and a little bit of social support. If you want more services regarding your situation, maybe write a letter to a politician.

1 Like

Psychiatrists use a “Global Assessment of Functioning” (GAF) scale which numbers from 0-100 on how a mentally ill patient is doing.

1 Like

Thats interesting, never knew about that.

1 Like

The GAF is in the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition). I’m not sure if the DSM-V has it or not but I learned about the (GAF) in University taking an abnormal psychology course.

1 Like

I agree with this. I never needed pills. I just needed talk therapy because of my chronic post traumatic stress. Fortunately I’m able to manage on my own with only minimal post traumatic stress now.

2 Likes

@Aziz Yeah, I just looked up the GAF and it’s no longer used by the DSM-V. The GAF has been replaced by the WHODAS-2.

1 Like

I would rather have a psych to treat me with respect and not be dismissive, I think I would make more progress with those 2 things than them asking really “deep” questions, but I’ve never had either so who’s so say what works better.

1 Like