Would More Individuals With Serious Mental Illnesses Take Medications If They Were Not Forced?

Thought provoking. Is she on the right track or completely off it? Thoughts welcomed.

1 Like

I think we’d have fewer people with SZ winding up in prison if we had scoop laws, forced medication, and enough beds available.

I’d be dead now if they didn’t involuntarily hospitalise me and force me to take meds.

I take olanzapine voluntarily and I’ll never quit unless a cure for schizophrenia is developed.
It works very well for my intrusive thoughts.

1 Like

I don’t think so. That’s like saying internet providers will follow “voluntary net neutrality”. They don’t want to take meds so they won’t.

Forcing medication increases paranoid symptoms.

Maybe those feelings are dulled by the meds, but you’ll never have a compliant patient.

That person will never be able to take care of themselves the way they should,

You’re just trading one problem for another.

Any jackass caught doing crazy stuff says they hear voices just to possibly get out of more prison time, and then to get some decent medication to make the prison time pass easily.

I think the amount of people with actual schizophrenia in prison is very low.

Right?

U.S. prisons are a large provider of health care to the mentally ill. On way out door to work, will try to dig up stats later. It’s a depressing and unnecessary situation. We deserve better.

Not if I can find some better stats supporting my argument while you’re at work!

HA!

I work in a center that provides assistance for people who are mentally ill and in jail. I can assure you that the epidemic of prisons and jails being used as ways to contain people with mental illness is very real. Look up “The New Asylums” on Frontline PBS for a well done video documentary of this issue.

4 Likes

@Briggy it is unfortunate that here, in this forum,
the moderators are highly offensive to people with severe cases of schizophrenia
and blame them for their disabilities.
What they fail to understand is that ALL OF US do our best to recover,
but some cases are milder/better prone to recovery/treatment than others.

I am very happy that in your case you managed to recover but I ask you to remain
humane and not blame anyone for their misfortune like the moderators here do.

1 Like

I apologize for any offense I caused in my previous post. It certainly was not intended. I do not know the moderators here, so I cannot make any statement on their comments.

I agree with you that everyone does their best to recover. Psychosis is a very hard to treat medical condition, and I am proud of everyone in every stage of recovery for fighting to feel good again.

Might I ask why you saw my previous post as blaming people for their misfortune? I’m a bit confused on that take, and if you could elaborate I’d appreciate it.

1 Like

Why all the moderator hate, @Erez_Shmerling?

@Briggy, he’s upset about another thread on the forum and his reply was mainly to that discussion, though it was addressed to you.

2 Likes

@Briggy I have absolutely no problem with you.
I just ask you to stay with your perspective, that you mentioned with your most recent post,
I fully agree with you and we see eye to eye.
We fully agree that everyone does their best to recover,
and I appreciate your perspective as someone who works with the mentally ill and tries to help them recover.
We fully agree that everyone does their best to recover and we should treat schizophrenics with
empathy and love and try to guide them to do their best under current, existing treatments
while continuing to advocate for better treatments.

Ah, thanks much for the explanation, appreciate it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jackasses caught doing crazy stuff? For the most part, there are two reasons for crazy behavior that lands you in jail: drugs, and being crazy.

At least in the US, and in CA where I am, there is a huge population of mentally ill in prison. It was only fairly recently that the courts determined it was a right to even receive psychiatric care in prison. But because jails were meant to be more short term, they can get away with not providing much to the inmates. California recently ran out of prison space and started moving people down to the jails. Whatever drugs you get won’t help pass the time, sometimes people who are supposed to get meds don’t. Probably much more often than reported.

I’m sure pixel will be able to find you stats, so I won’t spend my time on that. There’s an article in the news section though on someone with sz who died in jail in my state.

I haven’t been able to watch the video, but I think as much as possible, people should be able to make a choice, but sometimes they can’t. There are few other medical conditions like this, we’re not well equipped to deal with it. Now, in the US, when a toddler is identified as having autism, they receive an intensive period of treatment up to 3 years of age. Kids obviously can’t consent or refuse treatment (although the parents generally can) but this early treatment can change the outcome for the child. We (in the US) have a few early psychosis intervention services, but it’s not available like it is for kids, government funded and all. I think that would be a good place to start, but I don’t think we should just ignore the miserable homeless people with sz either.

3 Likes

I agree that people end up in prison mostly because of drugs and mental illness.

I also agree that our prisons are over crowded because of it. (I’m also in California)

What I was trying to say (poorly) is that every person with mental illness in prison does not have schizophrenia. Its probably a pretty low percentage.

Its possible that people diagnosed in prison were done so in haste by over burdened physicians.

Definitely there are a lot of schizophrenics in prison, as drug addiction and poverty are a plague among our people,

Its just seems like every other inmate has schizophrenia if you talk to prison workers.

That can’t be right.

While at least half of prisoners have some mental health concerns, about 10 percent to 25 percent of U.S. prisoners suffer from serious mental illnesses, such as major affective disorders or schizophrenia, the report finds. That compares with an average rate of about 5 percent for serious mental illness in the U.S. population in general.

3 Likes

Great resource @firemonkey

Thank you!