Schizophrenia.com

Would anyone else find this difficult?

My step niece has just got an email address and my father has given it to me. He says he’s sure she’d like to hear from me. This is a 10-11 year old step niece I have never met , and know next to nothing about other than she seems to be quite precocious .
I’d find even emailing a child I’d met, and knew quite well, difficult in terms of knowing what to say.

I sense that I’m expected to email her, and feel quite thrown by this. If I don’t email I guess I’ll be branded the unfriendly step uncle.

1 Like

You can just shoot her a funny meme or something? Doesn’t have to be heartfelt and indepth to start.

1 Like

U could ask about school since its practically a 10 year olds life. That seems like a safe subject. And don’t make urself feel like u have to email right away. Take some time to think it over and when ur ready ur ready.

1 Like

I used to have a hard time with kids. but as I matured it’s no big deal. My nephew is about 11 and he is intelligent and doesn’t fixate on what I say to him that much.

she’s just a kid so she will have other interests besides you? i’d just be friendly and kind and see where it goes

1 Like

Just make it all about her. Ask questions, send funny memes, that sort of thing.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I’d definitely have a problem with that, and I think it’s pretty weird that he asked you to do that considering you haven’t met her. I don’t think the conversation would be very difficult, but I wouldn’t have wanted to send her an e-mail anyway.

2 Likes

I agree with Treebeard. It’s a little unusual to expect you to email a child you’ve never even met. I would just let it go. You can always email for special occasions such as for her birthday (if you know when that is) or for holidays such as Christmas and leave it at that.

1 Like

I’d find that difficult too.
I’d have absolutely no idea what to say.
I guess I’d keep putting it off.
I’d rather want to keep my life as simple as possible meaning as little people contact as possible

1 Like

I’d feel more comfortable if we had a shared interest we could talk about.

I emailed. It was very rudimentary. Just asking a few questions about things I know she has done.

1 Like

Good on you, @firemonkey! Sometimes this site has some fun free electronic cards - http://www.123greetings.com/

p.s. - this site might be better for free children ecards - https://www.americangreetings.com/ecards/for-kids

Good luck!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.