Without patients, the hospitals wouldn't make it

the pdocs wouldn’t be payed, staff would be sacked, the building would crumble.

So therefore the “system” keep their patients through therapy, nursing, medication, just to maintain or increase their being.

I’m not against medication - though strongly against therapy, it’s a kind of subtle violence - but something is wrong the way the system works.

If you ever read you papers, try to see the cold, steril way they are describe you as a person, like if you are some loathsome object waiting to be described by a “true scientist”

The only thing that can better this system is a more phenomenological approach.

1 Like

There is some truth there.

In general, I dislike any reference to myself as ‘other’ or some ‘thing’ that has no right to act in any particular way.

As if it were all without any cause whatsoever?

When you exist in hostile environments (doesn’t have to be physical violence either) then your nervous system gets hijacked by a constant feeling of unsafety and unworthiness; you tend to believe you don’t deserve better.

That’s the problem I have with the system’s approach personally. It’s like it totally ignores the fact that mental issues are stemming from some external source - whether past or present - and is affecting your internal processes negatively.

Couple this with the fact that the external problem gets reinforced and you only get more external coverings to ‘cope’ with the messed up inner processes that need re-working.

I wouldn’t mind therapy, but everything I read on forums seems to reinforce the idea (at least in me) that the current approach isn’t working for many. It leaves some feeling worse than when they started.

So yeah. I go over these facts and it puts me in a rock and hard place deciding whether I should go with that model or force myself to be ‘normal’ so as to avoid being outcasted.

Not to mention the system is already kind of getting full to the brim with so many mental issues that it’s like you can’t get the proper 1 on 1 treatment that would best suit you. You feel more like a number that is getting someone’s paycheck than someone who is getting the best possible treatment/outlook for recovery.

I’m not anti meds, but anti stupid. The research is that of con men.

I think this thread is onto something, the medical system is leech like. Here’s a clip from Seinfeld kinda along the same lines, they did it as a joke but it has some truth.

2 Likes

Of course they’re making fun of the practice in this episode, but the meaning of the word holistic and what they actually do is not outlandish or ridiculous at all.

https://www.dignityhealth.org/articles/what-is-holistic-health-care-anyway#:~:text=Holistic%20health%20is%20about%20caring,aspect%20affects%20you%20in%20others.

“Holistic health is about caring for the whole person.”

"Take stress, for example. It’s a psychological response, but it can also cause physical symptoms, such as headaches, trouble sleeping, weight gain, and muscle pain. Of course, it works both ways, and being physically ill can cause you to feel anxious or depressed. Meanwhile, your spirituality and your relationships can boost your mental and physical health. Studies show that having close friendships lowers your blood pressure, reduces your stress levels, and can even improve your chances of surviving cancer.

Understanding this, doctors who take a holistic approach to health don’t just ask you about your symptoms. They ask about you — your overall health and your life — so they can make personalized recommendations to improve your wellness."

It acknowledges there are underlying issues for the stresses you deal with that can actually make us ill - whether we acknowledge it or are aware of it or not. In general, society on the whole does not accept this approach or even acknowledge it.

Contrary to widespread, popular beliefs, they don’t prescribe weird concoctions or teas to drink for your physical ailments because that would undermine the actual value of what the practice is about. They might recommend them over typical processed, junky things we may be eating that don’t help our condition, but that’s not the aim at all.

But really, who would want to go a doctor like that? Do you know how many people out there would be honest about the fact that we have unhealthy relationships - either in our homes/schools/work or with our selves - and would accept that as a part of treatment? LOL. Not many… I’d wager.

1 Like

Also in the clip he says “the medical establishment is a business like any other business, and business needs customers.” And I believe that holistic healing is looked down upon because it’s competition to modern medicine. So even though they are doing satire of holistic in the show they are also secretly expressing an opinion of the modern medical system, it’s genius.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.