With New Approach, Researchers Estimate that Schizophrenia Is Highly Polygenic

Wow - this would explain why schizophrenia is so difficult to understand and treat - though I suspect that most cases are probably the result of a much smaller number of contributing factors / genetic predisposition factors.

“Through additional simulation-based analyses, the researchers estimated that there are more than 20,000 causal SNPs (single nucleodide polymorophisms or small variations in genes) for schizophrenia.”

Source:

https://www.genomeweb.com/informatics/new-approach-researchers-estimate-schizophrenia-highly-polygenic

2 Likes

Which then encounter gawd knows how many potential situations in the specific environments during the pre-natal, peri-natal, neo-natal, infant, toddler, pre-school, kindergarten, grade school, etc., etc. environments. We know this much, however, from the study of epigenetics (see Epigenetics - Wikipedia): The earlier “it” happens, the more likely it is to produce “major” effects.

And this from the study of treatment efficacy: The more the pt knows and accurately understands about both the genetic and environmental circumstances of his or her particular case, the better the outcome tends to be.

I know it may seem controversial to some here, but I will suggest that less concern with what exactly caused it and more with what the circumstances actually are and what can be done about those precise circumstance will better serve patients’ recovery objectives.

Are you talking about the psycho / social / living environment and circumstances that the person is in at onset - ? So that you can then improve them to optimize recovery?

**This is over my head…

me too 15 characters

Or has been in long enough before the onset to have interacted with genetics and epigenetics to trigger the onset.

Family education – and sometimes intervention – are highly useful most of the time.