Will the real "fruit loop" please stand up

I’m just so sick of it. Sick of the wrongness with which we as people with SZ must deal. I just finished reading a book…a CHRISTIAN BOOK and thorughout the entire book- with every mention of something crazy or a person with mental illness, he refers to them as “fruit loops” Or Nutbars.
And I just started reading another book and the author says her father was a “whack job” --Mentally ill.

It’s so damned unfair that not only do we get to live these living nightmares, we are put down and diminished by ignorant people who SHOULD KNOW BETTER.

3 Likes

Just because something labels it’s self as Christian, doesn’t mean it knows better. The westboro baptist church is a good example… their obnoxious antics and racism finally got them officially tagged as a Hate group and they were loosing their tax free status just before the pastor died.

They were a Christian Group publishing Christian reading material. Very hateful racist reading material but under the guise of Christian none the less.

3 Likes

I know, I am shocked too by the ■■■■ we must deal with. I told my daughter she had my genes and had been depressed already, wanted to tell her what to watch for, she’s so pissed at me we aren’t speaking, after all, no way she could have it.

I always liked Tucan Sam and the cereal as a kid

■■■■ the haters…

theyre jealous because the voices wont talk to them. ■■■■■

2 Likes

I like the humor associated with words like fruit loop. Its actually one of the more humorous words going round.

2 Likes

okay i am standing up, whats my prize !?!..still waiting…i’ll just stand here then…
take care

3 Likes

I think it’s kinda like what gay people have to deal with. People seem to think that everyone has a lot more choices than we have. I think it’s easy to say “Oh I could but I don’t want to.” Like with the gay thing. "Oh I could sleep with another man (or woman) if I wanted to but I am smart/strong/religious/whatever enough to pass up that temptation.
News break people.
It’s not a temptation if it doesn’t tempt you. If you are gay but think sleeping with someone of the same sex as you is wrong but you really want to, that’s temptation. Being straight and not wanted to sleep with that member of the same sex as you doesn’t count as temptation.
Same with ausburgers/autism from my understanding. “Oh, I raised my child to not throw temper tantrums at twenty. I’m such a good parent.” No. You’re not. Just because they throw a temper tantrum doesn’t mean it’s the parents fault. From reading Temple Grandin’s book (she has full on ausburgers and a Ph.D) these tantrums happen because of sensory over load. Too many sounds/lights/or other stimulations for some people just pries them loose and they just freak out. You aren’t a great parent. You just have a more manageable child.
Same with sz. “Oh you should be able to control your thoughts. I never let myself think that aliens are talking to me. I’m not that self important.” Control isn’t where the thought never occurred to you. Control is when the thought occurs and you manage it.
People seem to think that just because something is easy for them, it is easy for everyone. Kinda like anorexia. Eating is easy for me, so it should be for them too right? Oh it isn’t? They must be weak.
The world needs some sensitivity/diversity training.

I still find these words offensive, like “nutcase” “kook” 'Whacko" - my father uses this term a lot by the way.
Yeah it does bother me, but I dont get worked up over it like I used to. Now I am guilty of using the word “crazy” when something is cool or neat, or something is off a bit. I think it depends a lot on who is saying it and how it is said - but I do not take it very seriously any more

Do you mind if I ask what year these books were published? Hopefully not recently as I would like to think attitudes are changing.

Its a “Christian” Religious book - what does one expect

1 Like

If it’s a Christian book then he should know the scripture “Judge not that ye be not judged, For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged.”

Therefore it’s the author that should stand up…

He apparently has not read Matthew 17 or just disregards it…

“And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,
Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatic, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.
And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.
Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.
And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.”

Christians are told to help and heal the 'sick", not make judgments about them.

It seems this particular author has made a mockery of Christ by mocking mental illness, and by doing so he buries his own head in…

1 Like