Will living off the grid help schizophrenia

This is a bad idea. Live with or near family if they are willing to help. If you don’t need a caretaker, you still at least need your family in your support network.

You need power for basic human necessities also. I don’t see any good coming from denying it.

Hey @aeternanox please don’t take this banter too seriously. You’ll find that humor is a common coping mechanism around here. No one is trying to make fun of you or make you feel bad. Feel free to call me some names.

:heart:

2 Likes

The first 3 years I lived in Alaska I lived in a “dry” cabin in a relatively remote rural area. I had no water, no cable, no internet, and in the winter my bedsheets froze to the wall and I had to chop down the “poopsicle” that built up in the outhouse with an ax. I lived that way cuz it was all I could afford…it was not romantic, or exciting, or good for my mental health. When I was eating voles and squirrels it was cuz the sza was telling me that the food supply was poisoned , not cuz I wanted to “live off the land”. At times it was beautiful being surrounded by the woods and seeing wild animals, but now that I have plumbing, TV, and friends I would only go back to that if I absolutely had NO choice.

1 Like

sir level quietly dips @shutterbug s toast in chocolate milk and then hides in the washing machine heheheheh

:bread::milk_glass::chocolate_bar:

1 Like

Agree with you. I’m living this now. Horrible relapse, medical care is not remotely close and rural isolation which though in the beginning seemed a simpler, more free way of living, it is indeed not.

1 Like

Welcome @viola.

If you find yourself in need of help, just tag a moderator. Type the @ symbol, then our names

@Moonbeam, @Ninjastar, @Bowens and @voithos

If you have not discovered our official forum rules and read them yet, you can find them here.

Enjoy your stay with us!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @viola.

:blush:

1 Like

I knew a man who lived in 2 little caravans next to a stream out in the countryside. He made money from doing mechanics and packing salad packs. He lived there peacefully for a decade or two.

His mental health improved considbly living off grid without meds.

Maybe living off the grid will help me. Maybe if I to a test in a safe place I can have no symptoms. I am taking backpack into woods behind my home to know if I can do real off the grid. I watched bushcraft youtubes now I know what to take. How to live. I will create a fire. Make a shelter.

1 Like

I have heard some people have gone totally mad being isolated

1 Like

Yeah, and they weren’t necessarily mentally ill to begin with. Isolation messes people up.

1 Like

Amish people, kind of live off the grid. They have a lower rate of schizophrenia, which I’m sure is because of how they live.

1 Like

Hah. They probably avoid seeking health care for the issue for loved ones when it shows up.

Possibly, but I like to think it’s because they have a healthier lifestyle.

Maybe it’s the inbreeding?

1 Like

The comments say many members do not think well of off the grid living. It is not nice to judge and make assumptions about them or the Amish people. I have begun a perminent shelter on my property. It is not easy. Trees are not birch the way I thought. the digging hurts my arms. It is not much close to done. Many thorns and animals bother me. I will have to deal with this going off the grid. It is good practice.

It is established fact that Amish communities are plagued with genetic defects that were caused (and in some cases are still caused) by inbreeding.

Sorry if reality hurts your feels.

Considering you’re have the difficulties getting your medication, I don’t think it would be a good idea. I know it wouldn’t be for me. My dumbass self would get lost picking up wood

I liked how humind and rain everday it was at florida. Then i realized its bad for your health. It was really hot too. I was camping in a empty little shades of tree with a tent. And hide my bike in a bush.
Orlando Florida has a nice acres of land. I dont understand how many people want to be homeless inside of the airport when you walk you in.

Living off the Grid.

I rarely watch TV or listen to the Radio. This forum and one other are my only outlets to the world as I know it…other than catching important news from family members or friends.

So yeah, my minimalist lifestyle keeps my schizophrenic episodes at bay to a large degree I would say.

1 Like