Schizophrenia.com

Will it look terrible on my resume / cv to take time out to study?

I am thinking of taking a career break, focus on retraining myself and then launching myself back into the workforce when I feel ready. Like a fresh start in life. I guess what I want to know is, how bad will it look if I decide to quit my job to go to college to completely retrain in a different field? I enjoyed working in admin for 12 years but when I started looking for new jobs a few months back, nothing was worth feeling excited for … I am 35 years old, does it look terrible to change my mind about my career and try something different?

2 Likes

An employer will ask about any length of time unemployed. But you have 12 years of work. I also think it’s a good answer that you turned away work that didn’t excite you, and it shows that you did look for work.-------

2 Likes

If you tell them you didn’t work because you retrained, I think they’ll see it as time well spent. It shows you’re willing to adapt and learn new things, and that you didn’t waste your time doing nothing.

3 Likes

Well I had jobs on and off but not too big a gap between jobs. Nothing there feels exciting anymore. I think it’s time to move on. Its really scary but exciting at the same time.

2 Likes

I will be looking for some voluntary work in the field while I study too, hopefully I can get something.

1 Like

They will probably see education when your older as a positive.

2 Likes