Will I be okay not taking my medication?

I feel like, if you have psychosis, an antipsychotic might help. I’m no doctor though!

Great to hear you feel more stable on a mood stabilizer, I’m thinking of trying them myself, though as I wean off Abilify I feel more and more stable.

Some people on here felt that Wellbutrin made their psychosis worse or triggered it, like @Jonnybegood for example. Just as many people seem to have felt it either helped them with depression and other things or did nothing at all. If you find some benefit in it, that is great.

I’m interested in anticonvulsant mood stabilizers like I said before (don’t wanna try lithium though). So I ask everyone if they felt they helped them.

1 Like

I have tried three or four antipsychotics. Seroquel was helpful, but the rest of them didn’t work right for me. Especially abilify (had a bad reaction to it)

I’ll probably get back on seroquel. I’m tired of trying so many medications without them working. I think I’m treatment resistant. The other day I got my medication history printed out for my doctor. I’ve tried over 20 different psych meds! Is that a normal number?

2 Likes

Some people find antipsychotics hard to tolerate compared to other types of meds. Some psychiatrists refer to them as “dirty drugs” (not pejorative) because they tamper with so many different things. When you tamper with a lot of receptors you get a lot of side effects, but of course it depends on the individual. And for many individuals certain sfx are intolerable, so you aren’t alone. Often its a matter of finding the ap which is right for you.

Seroquel is unique among the atypical drugs because it is less likely to cause movement related symptoms, prolactin elevation and other tough sfx which can come from a harsh dopamine blockade, which you have with drugs like Risperidone. Seroquel is really one of the milder ones, though it will often cause sedation and some weight gain.

Its normal to try quite a few different meds before you find the right combination. And to make matters more complicated, switching antipsychotics my pdoc said in his experience…they sometimes don’t have the same effect the second or third time you try them. Side effects and benefits can vary over time too.

1 Like

may be your mom could solve the problem
i hope you will take your medication soon :slight_smile: