Will facing my voices make them go away?

I’m often scared of my voices and was wondering if I face them and let any fear I feel wash over me, will it help them fade away or at least change there tone? I know in ERP therapy for OCD is all about facing your fears and even trying to make them worse in order to teach yourself that nothing bad will happen no matter how big they get.

Meditation for me works as a way to face them i guess

As part of my CBT therapy a few years ago, I was told to name the main figure who is with me all the time. When I did, it did help to take some of the power away from it. It changed that relationship. Also learning that I had control over how I react to what I see and hear helped me to not feel at the mercy of anything. Even when they say terrible things and encourage me to hurt myself, I have the choice and the power to not follow what they say. I don’t even have to argue, although I do say shut up sometimes, and I can sit through an attack or distract myself. I haven’t been scared in a long time because they’ve been with me for so long, but learning not to believe them of follow their directions took much longer. I wish you well!

1 Like

One has to allow fear and other sensations to be felt in a detached, de-fused way. So doing facilitates neurochemical metabolization (or “digestion”) and discharge of the emotional energy. The most research-proven psychotherapies for accomplishing this include…

DBT – http://behavioraltech.org/resources/whatisdbt.cfm
MBSR – Welcome to the Mindful Living Blog
MBCT - Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy: theory and practice - PubMed and
ACT – ACT | Association for Contextual Behavioral Science
SEPT – Somatic experiencing - Wikipedia
SMPT – Sensorimotor psychotherapy - Wikipedia

And once one has those “down,” one can use a distillation of them to get the neurobiological ball rolling very quickly called…

10 StEP – Pair A Docks: The 10 StEPs of Emotion Processing

One should, however, be adequately and reliably stabilized with anti-Ps before tackling these psychotherapies.

1 Like