Schizophrenia.com

Will an identical twin stand the same chance of developing schizophrenia

Will an identical twin stand the same chance of developing schizophrenia if one of the twins already has the illness

Sort of - at a very high level that is true - but details do matter. For example if one twin lived a very healthy life, lower stress, took fish oil/ate lots of salmon (Omega 3s seem to lower risk of schizophrenia), had a higher birth weight (than the other twin, didn’t smoke marijuana and do drugs, etc. - and didn’t have any tramatic or super stressful experiences - and the other identical twin led a very unhealthy lifestyle - smoking pot, doing drugs, had stressful experiences, etc. - the risks between the two might be very different.

Here are some details: http://schizophrenia.com/prev1.htm

1 Like

Im a twin. My brother doesnt hear voices.

1 Like

Mottec,

Was there any difference in you and your siblings lives that you think might have impacted the risk for schizophrenia/hearing voices between the two of you? Did you experience something (i.e. high stress) that might explain the difference between the two experiences.?

IDK if we are 100% identical, but I think so. I had some hard times that my brother didnt go through, and we have had very different life experiences. But I guess it could also be down to enviromental factors, like in the womb. I’ve read that twins can differ because of different exposure in the womb.