Why would anyone want this diagnosis?

Sz ruined my life so badly i was a hero then I went to zero when I got it. Lost my friends, lost any form of relationship. It ruined my life, ■■■■ anyone who thinks sz is cool. They clearly don’t have it

5 Likes

I was mentally depressed for a long period of time before sz… sz ■■■■■■ my rad life…if i was diagnosed at time sz could be avoided …i hate this life…

Its possible to have a good insight and sz, you know. It was always my case. I was always afraid by this illness and I still will put time to accept it cause only the word of it freaks me out. But I always knew that I have something serious, cause it was always hard.
I agree that the most of the people who ask themselves if they have it, don’t have it. But maybe they just seek to put a name on their suffering too, no? some people are hypocondriacs too wow :smiley:hugs all

3 Likes

I was actually pleased when i got diagnosed. It explained a lot of the weird crap that was going on in my life. And i sorta knew i had sz anyway as i had good insight AFTER the episode of psychosis i had. But of course never at the time. I always remember the first time i “came to” and realized it was just in my head . Finally realizing you wernt talking to God and that it was in your head was a really sobering and scary understanding for me.

1 Like

In the U.K. psychologists don’t diagnose. That has to be a medical doctor. I have my doubts about folk who only have a psychologists ‘diagnosis’

7 Likes

I agree it’s same here in South Africa only psychiatrists diagnose.

A psychologist is just a person to talk to like a therapist for e.g…

5 Likes

I live in the US, and I once had a therapist say that I have PTSD. I don’t consider myself as having PTSD, though, considering she, frankly, was just a therapist. No psychiatrist has ever said anything to me about PTSD. I may have been subjected to a great deal of abuse and terror as a child, but I don’t think I belong in the same category of trauma as people such as combat veterans. I could say more about the PTSD dx in America, but that would open a whole other can of worms.

1 Like

When I got diagnosed with schizophrenia one of the doctors told me if I didn’t like that diagnosis they could change it to PTSD. I didn’t say anything because I had no idea what schizophrenia was.

But in retrospect that doesn’t fit me. I am a combat veteran but I only have nightmares when I am awake and hallucinating. My dreams don’t scare me usually. Every time I was hospitalized all of the other patients were PTSD or depression. I was the only psychotic one on the ward. But I never knew that I was really psychotic. It took me years to figure that out.

The whole time I was going through a medical board in the military I kept saying I wanted a regular retirement not a medical one because I was so close to 20 years in already. My boss kept telling me no Tom you have a medical condition. I thought he was crazy.

1 Like

Very well said.

1 Like

I wouldn’t wish sz even on my worst enemy. I was diagnosed with sz back in 2003 I was 15 years old. I went through a really bad episode. We went for 2nd opinions and same diagnosis. Cat scan and all those fun things lol… I feel anyone “wanting” to be sz have deeper issues that they need to face themselves.

3 Likes

I think two things are being confused… wanting to be ill is one thing but seeking a diagnosis, is another.
Some people make sense of who they are, they way they live and experience things through categories and labels.

3 Likes

Its odd, you’re right. Up until maybe 2 months ago I was in denial about the diagnosis. I did research and tried to convince my pdoc it was just depression with psychotic symptoms. What you said is true, about how the pdoc will see the sz in you better than you can yourself. Everyone around me said I was obviously sz, and ofc I concluded it was a conspiracy. And before my diagnosis there was no way I would think ‘im sz’. The fact that I thought my family was trying to kill me, that I was being followed and bugged, or that my boss’ were involved with organized crime didn’t seem odd to me at all at the time. And all that said, every medical professional I meet always comments on how intuitive I seem regarding my diagnosis and symptoms. You’d have to be something short of a genius to be able to recognize your experiences/thoughts as what they are, delusions.

But I actually also had a pdoc in the hospital recently who thought I just have PTSD, instead of sz. The guy was a bit of a quack, my regular pdoc told me he was very wrong to say that and so I didn’t try and get the diagnosis changed.

2 Likes

Having a diagnosis could bring closure to someone if they didn’t understand what was going on. I know that was my case

3 Likes

@anon49063606 I agree, this was the same in my case too. (When I thought I was just a psychotic episode) however, when they told me I was schizophrenic, I fell into depression

1 Like

Completely disagree with OP. I’ll tell you all why later when I’m awake and have had a cup of coffee. Maybe then I won’t be such a bitch lol

1 Like

Just a bit of advice before you make your post: be courteous and respectful. Don’t treat this as a fight. This isn’t to you specifically because you’re you, but because you are a poster who has stated in advance that they will post a rebuttal and are concerned about being a bitch in it.

Nah son I’m just a bitch in general, especially without coffee

1 Like

:joy_cat: Threads that get nasty and angry get locked. Try not to pick a fight.

1 Like

Completely get that, I had such bad delusions myself but I’d still wish I didn’t have it. Like when I came back to university with my diagnosis in the beginning of 2015. One of my housemates someone I actually lived with said while nervously laughing ‘as long as you don’t hurt me.’ That really messed me up so much. Tbh my housemates were assholes, they just didn’t give a sh*t about anything. Not nice people. Legit I was hysterically crying once before my break and I got told to shut the f up and I was too loud. They made it really uncomfortable to live there. I ended up taking the rest of the year out and restarting the next academic year as I went into a delusional state again.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.