Why we don't have nothing to say

We all would like to appear interested laughing and talking wouldn’t you? But I feel like schizophrenics don’t know how to keep the ball rolling as good.

3 Likes

From childhood, my ball’s gone down the gutter. Don’t ask me why. Some kind of lack. I’ve wondered lately why people at a party must say funny things, because there’s a lot of laughter.

I do many times feel like Im blending into the wood work. I hear people joking, laughing, talking sports, and what vacations they are planning. I try to make some kind of impact, but I live a very stagnant - stale life

2 Likes

I usually don’t join in a group conversation. I can talk to my family all day. I feel like I’m Ok when it’s one on one. But to just start the conversation? I can’t do it. As far as sports and fancy vacations… I don’t have any to talk about. I love to swim, but I hate talking swimming with other swimmers because it’s boring really.

Plus, it’s hard to keep up sometimes. Inside jokes and t.v. references…

Good thing I’m not in a crowd enough to worry about it.

I also enjoy staying alone.

We seem to live on the same planet.

I hear them talking about vacations, sports, business deals, home improvement projects, people and groups they don’t like, television programs they saw, plans for holidays.

I go into my room and read a book.

I cant stand small talk chit chat. it bores me. I prefer being alone with my book too

1 Like

It’s maybe the people who don’t talk that have the most to say.

2 Likes

Small talk takes a lot of practice. I used to own a store and at first it was so painful but I knew I had to make nice to keep the customers coming back. I make sure to read the newspaper and watch the news so that I have something to fall back on. If all else fails I ask the other person questions. Usually people love to talk about themselves and you can keep them going for a while.

2 Likes

i had practice talking to people,

my good friend sweep has been a source of strength and we talk all the time (usually)

but then i went to an art class and drop in centre then college and my vocabulary was expanded also sunday service also helps. take care.

btw i think laughter is the best medicine and i’ve turned into a bit of a joker lol

thank god for being stable x

2 Likes

I had outstanding social skills before my onset- I was extroverted and a leader in multiple parts of my life, socially, athletically, academically. I have had to re-learn my skills, like muscle memory, which helps athletes get back into good condition during rehab. The patterns are already known, they just need to be exercised, which I have been doing ever since I entered remission. I immediately rekindled old friendships, made new friends and started dating people, with success in each endeavor (just not 100% success, I have been rejected or blown off multiple times :smile:)

It’s amazing how much a good friend can help. I find that classes have helped me and so has being on here.

The better I feel and more confident I get, the more I feel up to joking around. Even if I have nothing on topic to say, as long as what I said had some humor, people will generally listen.

4 Likes

“as long as what I said had some humor, people will listen”

Actually I followed that advice and it worked out real well.

3 Likes