Why is this happening

I don’t want to shower. I don’t want to get ready for bed. I don’t want to take my medicine. More and more things in my life seem to be suddenly in the realm of things I just really don’t want to do. I don’t know if I could call it amotivation, it’s more like aversion. And I have n o idea why. Why do I so badly not want to shower or brush my teeth or get dressed in the morning or at night? I can understand things like not wanting to go to class because it’s long and boring but nothing else makes sense.

Also I failed the 2nd organic chemistry II test in a row. So that’s great.

people are always trying to PUSH me into doing
things like brush my teeth etc which makes me want to PUSH back.

Like I said before, it’s avolition caused by your current AP. Respiridal is a heavy hitter. It’s basically negative symptoms, but caused by the AP.

You could suggest trying Vraylar or rexulti to your doctor. They cause less issues with negative symptoms.

Good luck with whatever decision you make Anna.

1 Like

agree with @everhopeful

Do you have a source that shows that this is something that happens? My therapist hadn’t heard of it

Did you have these type of symptoms before you started meds? That could help you figure out if meds are the cause

Are you upset that you aren’t taking showers? If so, maybe you could try to do it without thinking. Just walk into the shower naked without dwelling on it beforehand. As for your teeth, think about the money dental repairs cost. Whatever you do, don’t quit taking your med’s.

quote from here below - http://asp.cumc.columbia.edu/psych/asktheexperts/ask_the_experts_inquiry.asp?SI=1217

One possibility is that the anhedonia is occurring in the context of a major depression. If this is the case, an antidepressant medication together with psychotherapy is likely to provide benefit since depression is usually readily treatable. Another possibility is that the antipsychotic medication that is used to treat the psychosis is causing anhedonia. In this case, psychiatrists will call this a “secondary negative symptom.” This represents a side-effect of some antipsychotic medications;

research site quote from here below
http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/abs/10.1176/appi.ajp.163.3.488

Risperidone caused significantly more negative signs and symptoms than placebo on the Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale (BPRS), the SANS, the Subjective Deficit Syndrome Scale total score, and the analog scale for subjective negative symptoms. After control for drowsiness, risperidone but not haloperidol produced more negative symptoms than placebo on the BPRS and the SANS.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.