Why is the UK's food shopping cheaper then the states?

I got a full small-trolly for £49 today with 10 days worth off food.

I was reading this. Why is the USA so expensive for food when the UK prices havent increased that much.
https://www.boredpanda.com/sad-global-inflation-pics/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

2 Likes

I don’t know really, but I’m in the USA and have been not eating as much because food has gotten so expensive. It’s just as well as I need to lose some weight.

i got 10 meals and some other essentials for £56 it’s better quality food though, the cheaper it is not as good.

I got 1kg of mature cheddar cheese - Morrisons
small bottle of olive oil
coffee
12 eggs

Plus the rest off my stuff. I got chicken thighs, sausages and mince (ground) meat 500g, Mushrooms. I got a small trolly full off food. for £49.

2 Likes

I guess it depends where you shop here in the US. I could probably get all that stuff for $60-$70 at Aldi’s, but it would be low quality.

1 Like

Morrison is high quality. Even Aldi here in the UK has a good reputation but I have to walk to the supermarket and its too far for me to go to Aldi.

Nothing wrong with Aldi – and I bet it’s better quality in Europe than here. It just has a connotation as being “cheap” here. Again, nothing wrong with that. I used to shop there.

As far as your original question, I don’t know. Everything in the US has become more expensive. I was never good at economics, so I don’t have a good answer. Cost of living has gone up, so I assume grocery stores are just keeping up.

This is my bill today, is it different from Usa? Idk

1 Like

I go for all the cheapest products anyway. If I can find my bill I will post it. I got alot more than that from Morrisons for £49.

1 Like

I don’t know if it is or isn’t. But you are also comparing two different currencies with different values for one. I’m sure that makes some of the difference.

2 Likes

Pound and dollar are not that far apart and also Gas is cheaper in the US, but understandable more miles covered to deliver products. We have Europe near too.

1 Like

we get our gas from Russia and they are a bunch of pricks right now

1 Like

my biggest expense was 300g of pistachio nuts for £5

Thats expensive. Also I noticed butter has gone up (Larpack) from £3.50 to £4.50. I’m going to get generic version next time. Even the Aldi one tastes nice (Norpack) at £3.00 I think.

1 Like

Gladly the incontinence products I use haven’t gone up in price.

if i wanted i could get some very cheap items as a member of a pantry but i’d rather buy the better quality stuff if i can afford it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.